Can't send my site's URL in email?

meithan

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a script on my site that's supposed to send an email with a link back to one of my webpages (with a customized GET field).

I did some tests and my script is able to connect to the mail server and send test emails without any problems. But whenever I add the URL to my website to the email's body, the email never arrives, despite the SMTP server returning with no errors from the sendmail command (it's a Python script). I tried sending other URLs (www.google.com for example) and it works alright with those. I checked my spam folder on the receiver email account and it's just not there.

Is there some kind of filter on x10 preventing me from sending links to my website in emails?

Thanks.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible, all email passes through outbound mail scanning software. Specific URLs are only filtered if they are blacklisted... let me know the email address you were sending to and I can look it up on the mail server and see what happened to it.

meithan

Reaction score
To or from? I'm sending to my personal gmail account (since I'm testing the script); I can inbox you the address if you want. I'm sending from webmaster@meithan.x10.mx.

It's weird that it works perfectly fine unless the email contains the URL of one of my webpages. The URL in question is this: http://meithan.x10.mx/PswdChange.html?ticket=12345678901234567890

Edit: wait, that's not the URL I was trying to send. It's this:

http:/meithan.x10.mx/cgi-bin/PswdChange.py?ticket=12345678901234567890

Maybe it's because it's a link to a script in the cgi-bin directory? I understand it could be interpreted as spam or malware.

Edit 2: I did some further testing this morning. It seems that if the email contains my domain (meithan.x10.mx) in the body, it won't be delivered. Does that mean my domain is blacklisted on the outbound mail scanning software?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

meithan

Reaction score
Bump.

Any updates on this? Is sending emails with our site URL forbidden in general? Or is it just my site?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
I just sent an email from vox :

PHP:
$from = "webmaster@mydomain.x10.bz";
$to="myaccount@gmail.com";

date_default_timezone_set('America/Los_Angeles');

echo date('l jS \of F Y h:i:s A');

$mailbody="Test message sent coded text/html at : \n" . date('l jS \of F Y h:i:s A');
$mailbody .= "\n    mydomain.x10.bz?ticket=12345678901234567890";
$subject="Test of  mail() with url in body" ;

$headers = "Content-type: text/html\r\n";
$headers .= "From: $from\r\n";
$headers .= "Reply-To: $from\r\n";
$headers .= "MIME-Version: 1.0\r\n";
$headers .= "X-Mailer: PHP/" . phpversion();

$resp = mail($to, $subject, $mailbody, $headers);

if( $resp ){
    $outcome = "\nMail sent" ;
} else {
    $outcome = "\nMail not sent";
}

print $outcome;

And it went through fine.

Maybe if you show all the relevant code on your script?

Last edited:

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Your emails are missing the Date: header, which is likely the cause of issues.