Case-sensitive filenames

zeocytex

Reaction score
I've got many minutes of tedious trial and error just to "fix" the 404 server error that comes out whenever I clicked on a link on my website. The file existed and the spellings are correct but I still get the same result. Then I've come to "realize" the case-sensitivity of the filename. Yes the "casing" is not correct so I corrected it. Then... tada! It worked!

I hope you will explicitly state that you have a case-sensitive filename system and I hope this will save a heft of time and effort for other web admins.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's the norm. Most of the web servers in this world run on some flavour of *nix, and all *nixes (Linux, Unix, FreeBSD, etc.) have case-sensitive file systems. Windows is the odd one out, so unless you know you're using Windows hosting you will be dealing with case-sensitive filenames and filepaths. (Always keep that in mind if you are testing the sites you are developing on a Windows machine. You may be running Apache as your web server, but the file system is still Windows.)

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
To add, save yourself a lot of grief by not using spaces in file/directory names.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
As a rule of thumb, always develop with no spaces/funny characters and never using capitals.