Changing Registration?

Oni

Reaction score
What do you think guys if we went to invite only registration? This would cause less abuse cause the members now can only invite other people and they'd only invite people they can trust.....

Or maybe you have to have 50 Posts. Then you could register and if they spam the forums increasin their post #, then don't give em' an account.

What do you think, or maybe if anyone has any other ideas about this, I just want to decrease abuse so our sites can have less downtime.... :coolugh: :coolugh:
:bigok: :bigok:

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
I like your idea, invites is a good idea, but that would reduce the registrations soooo much, about the 50 posts that's a better idea, it could be 25 for static, 40 for advanced and 50 or 60 for Corporate. I just think they should stop registration for a couple of weeks (I thinks they're gonna do that), and remove autoregistration, forum registration is much better and easier to control.

Oni

Reaction score
ok forget the invites thing...

Let's do the posts thing...

------------
Static Account - 30 Posts Required
Advanced Account - 50 Posts Required
Corporate Account - 70 Posts Required
------------
aaorozco idea of not just one 50 posts but different requirements depending on the plan.

How about that? I think this is a good idea, maybe a little lower on the posts requirements, but we'll see...I think it's a great idea!

Yourbuddy

Reaction score
The posts is also a bad idea, people will spam up this forum just for accounts. Also the invite thing is a bad idea, we WANT more people to register so X10 can expand, we don't want abuse that is why they want more staff members. if you want to help just join the staff.
Also, at DIGG.com i popsted an article about X10 and people said "awesome" but they were compaining that other hosts required them to post "x" many posts at their site.

N

Nathan

Might I make it clear, for the few thousandth time, we're not a post to host free hosting site.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you that you prose some interesting

Blackbird7 said:
What do you think guys if we went to invite only registration? This would cause less abuse cause the members now can only invite other people and they'd only invite people they can trust.....

But then it will be limited to fewer people.
And "the invite only" will not lessen the problems of absue or bad websites.
The points of this method are pasing decisons over to members.
  1. members themselves may not be good (although the chance may be lower).
  2. even if members are good, they do not have better regulations on how they send the invitation. For example, someone may simply send the invitation simply because an anonymous person asks him.
  3. A member may send an invitation based on wrong sets of rules. Eg: one member sends an invitation to someone even if it is going to have a Russian website (Russia is not allowed in x10hositng).
  4. A member may not send inivtation at all. I know some people who have Gmail as well. But they never send invitation at all. Maybe they simpy don't bother.
Comparing with the current system, moderators can satisfy all the above. They are usually good, with guidelines on sending approvals, will read every web hosting requests, and so on. They will also supervise websites once in a while. What's moe, if you find any website violating terms of service, you can always alert mderators about that.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Like Dewayne has said we are not a post to host site, and I dont think the invite idea will work to good.

Dewayne said:
Might I make it clear, for the few thousandth time, we're not a post to host free hosting site.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Or maybe you have to have 50 Posts. Then you could register and if they spam the forums increasin their post #, then don't give em' an account.

I like your idea.
This idea is good but this encourages unnecessary SPAM.
The problems are:

1. Even if you are a good webmaster, when you frst visit this website, you still need to send 50 or so posts.
  2. Why is sending 50 posts is a requirement of classifying someone as good webmaster? After sending 50 posts, it means really little that it is going to host good/non-violating websites.
  3. Sending more posts is nothing to do with distinguishing between good and bad webmasters. This only both good and bad people who don't bother the trouble.
  4. To monitor SPAM, it needs manpower supervision which also wastes efforts. Why not spend this efforts instead on monitoring websites?

Last edited:

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
If we are too worried about bad webmasters, why not try to raise the standards when approving web hosting? Moderators can raise the standards (eg you are required to tell mderators what you are going to do with your website - plans, structures, contents of the website in depth, eg at least 1000 words).

This is good since this requirement is beneficial to both moderators and applicants.
To moderators, they can know more aobut their website (and see if they have be mistaken and do something which is not allowed under Terms of Services).
To applicants, it can help them to pan their website systemtically (by hints from the quetions). This may help when they really make the websites.

This requirement is more constructive than post-number (potentially negative) requirement

The problem is this will eliminate casual (but NOT bad) users who don't liketp plan before making a website. Often when they think of something, they post them online. But when they are not interested in web hosting, they may abandon the websites.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We'll never do post for hosting -- the current problems we face are expansion too fast (why we added a new server) and time to work on the site. No one gets paid for this including me and it is extremely hard to find people to work for free. Upgrading\Approving\Reviewing accounts is not fun, I know everyone says they'll do it when they sign up for staff but most get bored with it real quick. We only really have 2-3 staff that do these tasks.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

-Corey

Oni

Reaction score
ok oh well it was just an idea...yea not getting paid to this work isn't that good, but there are people like you that will do this for free....

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Corey said:
We'll never do post for hosting -- the current problems we face are expansion too fast (why we added a new server) and time to work on the site. No one gets paid for this including me and it is extremely hard to find people to work for free. Upgrading\Approving\Reviewing accounts is not fun, I know everyone says they'll do it when they sign up for staff but most get bored with it real quick. We only really have 2-3 staff that do these tasks.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

-Corey

Actually in the "Apply to be a staff member!", I'm afraid there is no infomation about the whole application, eg I can't find information about:
- am I eligible of being a staff member?
- what does a staff meember do?
- can one choose what types of work to take?
- how long do one need to work?
- and so on

If there are better descriptions about the whole thing, I'm sure more people will be interested in it, and it is easier for you to find good staff members.

Last edited:

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Blackbird7 said:
ok oh well it was just an idea...yea not getting paid to this work isn't that good, but there are people like you that will do this for free....

That's easy.
Why not "pay" to the staff members then?
The best solution!

Note:
"Pay" here doesn't refer to the payment of real cash, but some non-material rewards like "good amount of points (eg 100 points per day)", "ad removal", "free domain names", "special web hosting plans", "free promotions of their websites", and so on.

Last edited: