Charter! >=[

Danielx386

Reaction score
I would laugh if that place's network is running in half duplex, or if they simply over saturated that line. Might as well try testing in the morning or some time when everyone is sleeping/not online to see how fast their line really goes.
Well that test was done on a saturday, where there is hardly anyone is on the network. as I said, we run our own ISP yep the net is ****.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well that test was done on a saturday, where there is hardly anyone is on the network. as I said, we run our own ISP yep the net is ****.

Then that is just pure fail. I'd imagine that as soon as you start hammering that download, the upload will drop like a rock. Unless of course there is QoS someplace upstream.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Sharky in that case I always suggest an NDT test. I do use NDT speed tests now a days since they are more reliable and provide very useful data.
Looks like those are in the USA only. Plus, what's wrong with the thinkbroadband java powered one?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Looks like those are in the USA only. Plus, what's wrong with the thinkbroadband java powered one?

Nothing wrong with it. Also, give me the country you live in so that I can track down an NDT server for you. There's a few I know of in Europe.

boris333

Reaction score
No real surprise here. Charter is the most ungodly awful ISP to ever exist, and it should be no surprise that they had to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy recently. The real sad thing is that they have some areas near-completely monopolized for broadband internet service.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
hmm, it doesn't seem to be telling me anything I didn't really know already, and AFAIK, Windows Vista, and newer, automatically adjusts TCP settings:

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 490.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 9.47Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_15

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 164.55 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and
There were 117 packets retransmitted, 521 duplicate acks received, and 410 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
S2C throughput test: Packet queuing detected: 2.56%
This connection is receiver limited 4.05% of the time.
This connection is network limited 95.55% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON; Scaling Factors - Server=8, Client=10

Packet size is preserved End-to-End
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

The one from the second link keeps showing an error saying the path is too long, so I guess London is slightly too far away. (About 50 miles, as the crow flies, to where Google says 'London' is)

EDIT:
Adjusted some settings in Windows, inbount test score went up to 9.81Mb/s, about 100 fewer packets retransmitted, packet queueing went down, receiver limited down to 1.6%, 'sender limited' 2.3%, time stamping on, and now it has added this on to the bottom:
Server 'ndt.iupui.lhr01.measurement-lab.org' is not behind a firewall. [Connection to the ephemeral port was successful]
Client is probably behind a firewall. [Connection to the ephemeral port failed]
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

Last edited: