Chat Box, Shout Box and Comment Box. Need enlightenment.

magsasaka00193

Reaction score
Hi, a novice web developer here.
I'm currently new to this hosting web site and I got a few questions.

1. Please define a chat box.
2. Please define a shout box.
3. Please define a comment box.

I want to add this things in my website, but I don't want to be suspended because of these things. What I know right now is by searching here in the forum:

1. Chat Box is not okay.
2. Shout Box is not okay.
3. Comment Box is okay.

Here comes the real questions.
So, how does this website define a Shout box?
I want an answer to be like a work flow.
Like:
A Comment Box is a script that:
1. Get's the user's message.
2. Send an xml request.
3. Request will be processed by a php file.
4. Php file will do an sql query to write the message.
5. Php will send a response to the user.
6. Page will be updated.

Something like that. My account is a free hosting account and I'm just too careful not to get suspended or terminated.

Also, just a follow up question regarding server loads. These are things I need to know for me to avoid getting the server getting worked up.
1. What is the maximum number of instances of sql queries can be ran at the same time?
2. What is the maximum page requests that can be performed at the same time?
3. What is the maximum data that can be downloaded at the same time?

The answers that you will provide will be really helpful. :D

jmchaney9227

Reaction score
Ok well a comment box is a page where users can post without a time limit between posts
Just like a forum but all on one page
(Its like if users post fast on a forum, not a real big heavy load cause theres no automatic refresh/reload)

A comment box should not auto refresh like an IRC

What isnt allowed is a chat like the one on this site which is flash I assume, an IRC chat/client and also ajax chat is a heavy load too

And I think its safe to say that there shouldn't be over 5g of bandwidth transfer a month, thats an average that stays in an alright range

Last edited:

magsasaka00193

Reaction score
And I think its safe to say that there shouldn't be over 5g of bandwidth transfer a month, thats an average that stays in an alright range
Thanks for replying dude.
So put it on hierarchy putting server load in mind:
Low: Forum Thread
Medium Low: Non-AJAX Comment Box
Medium: AJAX Comment Box
Medium High: Shout Box/Chat Box
High: Flash Chat Box/IRC Client

Am I correct? And the last best thing that I can put in my site will be a comment box... Hmm. Of course I want to get the best out of it. So I was able to think of functions I think I can add to my comment box to enhance user interaction. Also, please help me to sort out the things that may jeopardize my website. :D

Comment Box Properties:
Refresh on Timer Expires: I know I can't put this/but I need feedbacks :D.
Refresh on User Comment: Comments will be refresh every time user will comment.
Refresh on Pressing 'Refresh Comments': Any thoughts about this thing?
Refresh on Page Load: I think by default this will happen.
Refresh on Other Query events: Will refresh if user will send a query. Ex. Search.

So far those are the things I was able to think off. By the way, it will be AJAX. Because of that I really need help and assistance for me not to cross the borderline.

Your replies will be too much of help. Thanks!

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's perfectly okay if the commenting user's own page refreshes when the comment is submitted. It is not okay if everybody's page refreshes every few seconds to view the comments other people have posted. When that happens, it's a "shoutbox". When multiple independent conversations can be initiated in that fashion (either user-to-user or in groups or "rooms") it's a "chatbox".

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Chat box is for chatter boxes.
Shout box is for immediate but chat like professional response.

magsasaka00193

Reaction score
I believe my question is now fully answered. I know now what I need to put in my website. But I know I can still the concept of having a comment box. Thanks for the replies. :D

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I believe my question is now fully answered. I know now what I need to put in my website. But I know I can still the concept of having a comment box. Thanks for the replies. :D

By the way, what are you thinking of ?
A facebook type website ?

magsasaka00193

Reaction score
It will be heavy influenced by Facebook in terms of how users will be interacting with the website. This website would be like a forum/gallery site. :D

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Great!
Keep your chats/posts usable only to registered users of your site and you won't violate any TOS!

...like a forum/gallery site...
What are you going to use for pulling off something like that ?

magsasaka00193

Reaction score
Notepad. :D To be honest, I don't know anything about CMS, Joomla or things like that. But I think hard coding it myself will give me more understanding in web development. :D

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Notepad. :D To be honest, I don't know anything about CMS, Joomla or things like that. But I think hard coding it myself will give me more understanding in web development. :D

It sure will give you more understanding.
But do you have that much time for getting such a big website up and running in no time?

For chat and dynamic-gallery only, you have to write so many AJAX/PHP/MYSQL lines.

Then, you have general template and so on and on.

magsasaka00193

Reaction score
I'm currenty doing my own templates. The advantage is that I know what is happening, disadvantage is that I'm not sure if it will be optimal for websites. What I'm planning is not that big but yes, it will consume many lines. :D Timewise, I'm giving myself three months. If I can not accomplish my goal, I'll look for alternate ways to make my work easier.

magsasaka00193

Reaction score
Will do kind sir. Thanks for the replies. I was able to generate a few more ideas. :D Also I'm using XAMPP to emulate my scripts so that before I launch my site, it will be atleast 90% problem free. :D

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
A Cautionary Advice Again:

As per TOS
----------------------
Shoutbox\Chat Scripts: Use of these scripts is strictly forbidden due to the amount of MySQL queries they take.
Accounts found with chat scripts or shoutboxes will be suspended.
------------------------

Don’t misconstrue it.

For example, use of “facebook-like wall post” feature but with automatic real-time update will definitely be taken as a case of Chat script.

Beware of that!