Chmod Permission Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholas

Reaction score
I have this problem and I wonder if it is got something to do with the change of cpanel or the server. One of the folders is supposed to be chmod to 777 but I do not know when it changed to 755. Maybe by itself :laughing: Anyway so I change to 777. Just now I went in again to check because 2 pages of my website is not working. And the folder is back to 755 again! So what is exactly the problem? :grin:

nicholas

Reaction score
Just to add the problem I have with 2 pages of my site

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@nicholastan.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

nicholas

Reaction score
Hey can someone help me? :shaun: I still have 2 pages on my site having the same error.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
All my files were chmodded to 755 when they were uploaded and after I got the site up I think there at 666 655 or something like that now ....I think I will have to check ...but I don`t think any of my files ever went to 777 or had to be at that.

EDIT : I just checked and my files are at 644 and folders at 755 some folders are at 700.....this probably doesn`t help at all ....does it ...I know I have had files cange on me by themselves but its never stopped my board from working. Sorry I couldn`t be a bigger help

nicholas

Reaction score
bigguy said:
All my files were chmodded to 755 when they were uploaded and after I got the site up I think there at 666 655 or something like that now ....I think I will have to check ...but I don`t think any of my files ever went to 777 or had to be at that.

EDIT : I just checked and my files are at 644 and folders at 755 some folders are at 700.....this probably doesn`t help at all ....does it ...I know I have had files cange on me by themselves but its never stopped my board from working. Sorry I couldn`t be a bigger help

Okay thanks for your reply. For me the concern is not whether folders should be chmod to 777 or not because I am just merely following instructions. I am using e107 and the instructions are

Important Notes

- to use this feature you will need to CHMOD your /e107_plugins/custom/ and /e107_plugins/custompages/ directories to 777.
- you can use HTML code using ' for HTML attributes !!! (Using " for HTML attributes will crash your menu/page)

The problem is I dont know why the folder change to 755 when it was set to 777 previously! And i went to remedy it after i noticed those errors in my 2 pages but it still goes back to 755 :pinch:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't put 777 on some PHP files because it will allow anonymous use, you'll have to CHMOD the files you're having problems with to 755 and leave the others at 777.

-Corey

nicholas

Reaction score
Corey said:
You can't put 777 on some PHP files because it will allow anonymous use, you'll have to CHMOD the files you're having problems with to 755 and leave the others at 777.

-Corey

Hmmm....its folder not php files. There must be a way to solve it because before that the folder was chmod to 777 and the 2 pages were working. Now the folder's permission is at 755...change back by itself after I change it to 777 :laughing: Nevermind I go to the official site to look for solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.