Choice of Programming Language

shanrei

Reaction score
Can share about their criteria for choice of programming language?

xPlozion

Reaction score
well, since i started w/ php, i want something that's c influenced (c, c++, javascript, php).

if it's for the web, php all the way. for desktop purposes, i'd go w/ c++ or c, depending on the requirements and the gui's avail, but i'm pretty sure gtk works w/ both.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I like PHP and JavaScript, versatile and easy to program in. I went into C++, quite hard to understand. I guess I don't have strong criteria, just as long as the language is not so loosely typed that it is prone to errors. I am a Visual Basic/VB Script hater, for bad programming techniques, just it's style in general.

Last edited:

anirtak143

Reaction score
i'd go for java.. it does some things automatically. also, its cross platform, so you can run it anywhere, almost anywhere, as long as it has the JRE..

arcade1

Reaction score
You should start with C, C++ or learn some web programming language like PHP, which is the coolest thing these days.

steronius

Reaction score
what kind of programming? web, scripts, cross-platform, windows exe, educational purpose? do you wish to use UML modeling?

alcramer

Reaction score
I'm really old & have programmed in: Fortran, PL1, Pascal, C, C++, Java, Perl, PHP, plus some weird languages lost to history...if I were just starting out right now I'd probably start with PHP. It'll get you into what programming is all about and let you do lots of good stuff on the web.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I code in basically web designing code. I'd like to get around to learning some C++ though.

anirtak143

Reaction score
I'm really old & have programmed in: Fortran, PL1, Pascal, C, C++, Java, Perl, PHP, plus some weird languages lost to history...if I were just starting out right now I'd probably start with PHP. It'll get you into what programming is all about and let you do lots of good stuff on the web.

cool!!!

back on topic, yeah, i agree with those php and C++ guys. many people code in those langs..

Sohail

Reaction score
Well I am fluent with HTML, CSS, I am steady with ActionScript, and I can understand parts of PHP but I want to learn it in full :).