Closing Forum Account

interne3

Reaction score
I'd like to close my forum account, but I cannot find the account deletion section in my account. Could anyone please help, or is it physically impossible? Thank you, I greatly appreciate any advice given about this.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's impossible. Staff can delete accounts, but they'll only do it in dire circumstances (there's much more to it than just deleting a forum account, potentially orphaning other people's postings - it pretty much runs through the whole system here).

interne3

Reaction score
I got a new web hosting account, since my old account was suspended and removed for inactivity. Can I use the forum account tied with that account, and leave this one to "die"?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Sure. If you want to make sure you don't use this one again accidentally, do a password reset to something random (maybe have someone else just mash the keyboard for you). The account will still be there, but you'd have to put some additional effort into using it.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That deletes your hosting account, not your forum account. A forum account is basically a user id for the entire system, so you're not allowed to delete it and staff won't delete it unless there's a good reason you can PM them with. You can have more than one forum account, but being able to use more than one of them means that the forum account you're using won't necessarily be tied to your current hosting account, and that can make support more difficult. Just messing up the account log-in so that you can't accidentally use it is a good way to make sure that doesn't happen.