CMS suggestions

maxwales9184

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I just bought my domain.

My plan for the website:

I want it's main purpose to be for me and my housemates to report bills and other expenses. So we can track who owes what for what. Rent, utilities, etc...

I know I know, I could just use Google Docs and a simple spreadsheet or MonkBill, but I wanted it to be hosted on a personal site.

So I was wondering if any of y'all knew of any CMSs that offer this capability. I know it's weird that I'm somewhat overdoing it when there's plenty of other providers and solutions... but honestly that's boring. I want a project to keep me entertained.

Also I was thinking... it would be awesome if it had a WP-like subcms... I could always just use 2 CMSs and hard link the two... but I thought it would be cool if they shared the same db so I wouldn't have 2 accounts. I want to be able to blog about my experiences living with housemates throughout the year.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kreator12

Reaction score
Google docs is good, you can use IFRAME for linking to google site... that is my quick fix for you

maxwales9184

Reaction score
Cool thanks for the tip.

I kinda wanted run somesort of system that I could run myself.

If there's no CMS out there that has this capability, does anyone know if there's one that I could modify to do this sort of thing?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, you could add something like that to any of the CMS packages out there, but what's the point? There'd be a lot of interweaving and patching-in and all kinds of nonsense for no real gain (unless you want to call out your housemates on your blog, of course -- a real-time/run-time kick in the back pocket for anyone who's running a little late as a call-out box in mid-rant). All you need in the blog/CMS is a link to the app, really -- and, while it might make absolute sense to have a separate database, there's no reason why you can't add a couple/three namespaced tables to your CMS's db.

What you want is a sort of QuickBooks Online deal, but without all the tedious payroll stuff. A general-purpose home budgeting kind of deal. Sounds like what they'd call a pretty good MVP (minimum viable product) in the start-up world. All you need is a plan, and the ability to execute it. How're your programming chops? It doesn't sound like it would be too terribly difficult to put together, even if you want a nice, responsive AJAX-y front end. Heck, I'd be tempted to do it myself if the terms were right (as regards the future of the project, not payment up front).

-GH0ST-

Reaction score
Hey Max, there's quite a few CMS's out there that would do the job for you. I suppose it's all in what you're willing to deal with and what you're not. Here's a short list of a few of them, at least some of the more popular ones:

1. Dolphin
2. Joomla
3. Nuke
4. Drupal

Those are just off the top of my head and without doing a real google search.

Just remember, each one has it's pros and cons. It's up to you to figure out which one suits your needs the most and run with it.