CNAME: This website is not properly configured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsavorit52

Reaction score
Hi There,
I have a Wordpress website on x10hosting.com.

Now I like to link my subdomain dev.isenringen.ch to pfadi.x10host.com.

I created CNAME onto pfadi.x10host.com. But I always get the error: "This website is not properly configured."

I created a masked rederection(for testing on devn.isenringen.ch), but the mobile version is not working.

I tryed adding my domain to x10host by entering the nameserver into my DNS as a NS entry. I got block by my DNS providet(freedns.afraid.org). So I migrated my dns to namecheap.com. I still want to use these DNS because eMail and other subdomains are already set up.

Wordpress Support told me that the problem is not wordpress based, so I'm asking here.
Somebody knows something about this?
thanks

Last edited:

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

The "website is not properly configured" message essentially means that the server is not sure which account that domain belongs to. This is because when you point your domain at the server, the server knows the domain points at itself, but it needs to be able to somehow map that to your account.

To tell the server that you own the domain, you will need to create a Parked Domain from cPanel.

However, cPanel will (for security reasons) automatically verify that whatever domain you add is pointing to our nameservers (ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com), so it will not work with your CNAME. Therefore, you would need to point your domain at our nameservers to add it, but you do not have to keep them after the parked domain as been added. Additionally, if you keep your domain pointing at our nameservers, you can manage your domain's DNS records from the Advanced DNS Editor in cPanel.

Thank you,

tsavorit52

Reaction score
Hi @Dead-i ,
Thanks for your answer
I now have added my Domain to the Parked Domains.
But after that i changed back the Name Servers back to Namecheap.
x10hostparckeddomain.PNG
The CName still points to http://pfadi.x10host.com und the ERROR is still there. :(

What did i wrong?
Thanks

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

You're nearly there. :) The server now knows where to point isenringen.ch, but not dev.isenringen.ch. To fix this, you will need to create your "dev" subdomain. You can do this by going to "Add Domain" again, and filling in the form like this:

ddiax.png

You don't have to change your nameservers to do this.

Thank you,

tsavorit52

Reaction score
Hello @Dead-i ,
thanks for your answer, worked fine for me. But the text in the url field will be changed to pfadi.x10host.com... Is there a Way to show my domain name there?

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

That usually happens due to the software you are using. Make sure you have changed your WordPress Site URL accordingly in the General part of your WordPress settings. WordPress have a guide on how to do this: https://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL

Thank you,

goomi13x

Reaction score
Hi,

You're nearly there. :) The server now knows where to point isenringen.ch, but not dev.isenringen.ch. To fix this, you will need to create your "dev" subdomain. You can do this by going to "Add Domain" again, and filling in the form like this:

View attachment 9040

You don't have to change your nameservers to do this.

Thank you,

I was following this thread trying to link a subdomain on my family's domain to my x10 domain goomi13.x10host.com. I was able to create the parked domain, but when I try to create the subdomain I get the message "Unable to add the domain name − (XID kgjs6z) A DNS entry for the domain" Any suggestions on how to resolve the issue would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.