code changes take a long time to reflect to live pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

magician11

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been editing my php today.. and noticed that I'll change something and that change doesn't come through for an hour or so when I view the source code online.

It's been a few hours now since I made a change in my css file, and still viewing the direct url of that css source code reflects no changes.

Yes, I have cleared my cache, and re-tried.

thoughts? pointers?
thanks,
Andrew

magician11

Reaction score
Ok... the changes have come through. But I'm now totally stuck on something.

when I goto myurl.com the server normally displays the index.php or index.html file. I had an index.html file, that I have since deleted. There is now a index.php page.
However for about 2 days now it keeps displaying the phantom index.html page when I go to myurl.com. I can see my index.php page when I goto myurl.com/index.php

Why is it that the index.html page is showing... when it's no longer there? I've looked for hidden files.. and tried accessing my domain name from different computers to absolutely to eradicate cache issues.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Try clearing your browser cache. It is possible your browser has the old file cached (which would also be why it seemingly takes time for your changes to come through)

magician11

Reaction score
Hi Anna, Thanks for the idea. I've tried clearing my cache.. and have tried accessing the site from different machines altogether. I still get the phantom index.html file appearing when I access my domain name xyz.com

And the changes to pages that I access directly, are taking hours to reflect changes from within the file manager.

Something is still not right....

magician11

Reaction score
Ok.. narrowed it down. Last chance x10hosting... :)

When I view my site using the domain name registered with you guys xyz.elementfx.com my site displays correctly. However when I view my site via my parked domain I bought, the site displays differently. Usually a very outdated cached version. I had a chat with my domain registrar, and it's very clearly my web host.. you guys.

I understand this is a free service. And I appreciate that. But this is also not workable as I see it.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't see any difference in the index.html from either domain name. Have you flushed your computer's dns yet?

If it's still being cached, it's on your end. Instead of contacting your domain registrar (which wouldn't have anything to do with this), contact your ISP. This is because you go through your ISP to reach your website, and sometimes ISP's cache is old.

Also, your server was just migrated and the second sync has gone through since yesterday. Just flushing your computer's dns and clearing your browser's cache should do the trick. If not, then go ahead and call your ISP for them to clear their cache.

magician11

Reaction score
Thanks for the super quick response. There is no index.html file. When I go through my cpanel and view my files through file manager, or FTP for that matter, there is no index.html. I did create an index.html file a while ago (which is still being displayed when viewed through my parked domain), but all my webpages have .php suffixes now. Interesting that you see an index.html file??

I just cleared my browser's cache and flushed my DNS. Same results.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought you were saying that that file was currently showing as the index file of your site. Since it is not, I just now added index.html at the end of your main domain and your .com domain. Both give me a 404 error. That means that the caching must be happening through your ISP. Please contact them about their old cache.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Similarly, index.html gives a 404 error.

Try adding ?foobar to the end of the URL and see if that forces the ISP to bypass their cache.

magician11

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm staying the night at my brother's place (different ISP) and the pages seem fine now. Except... www.myurl.com shows a slightly different page to myurl.com (dropped the www); font/css difference.

Thanks for bringing to my attention that ISP's have cache that can so significantly affect web development. Bit of a pain as it's so out of our control?!

Status
Not open for further replies.