coded Horizontal News scroller help....

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
i have been searching for months trying to find a good horizontal news/text scroller coded with any kind of code i could find, javascript, actionscript, php, html, what have you. so now i come to this forum for help. i would really like it if someone could create, find, or link me a good horizontal news/text scroller Please.

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
I just ended up using the <marquee>...</marquee> tags cause it was the easiest and I didn't have to worry about the BGcolor and I just had to apply a span class to get my text format right. so I'm good for now.

Although i would like to know this; say i have a link in my scrolling marquee, how do i change the color of that link to look like the rest of the text and only have an underline signifying that its a link?

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
I just ended up using the <marquee>...</marquee> tags cause it was the easiest and I didn't have to worry about the BGcolor and I just had to apply a span class to get my text format right. so I'm good for now.

Although i would like to know this; say i have a link in my scrolling marquee, how do i change the color of that link to look like the rest of the text and only have an underline signifying that its a link?

Try somthing like this for the html

Code:
<a class="scrolllink" href="whereever.html"> Link Text </a>

and this for the css

Code:
a.scrolllink {
font-size:whatever;
font-color:whatever;
text-decoration:underline;
}

BTW, you should know that the marquee tags are no longer considered valid, so you may find yourself with browser problems with it.

Last edited:

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
well i really dont mean to be rude or snoody, far from it really, but i am now currently testing all the recently used web browsers [Internet explorer, mozilla firefox, safari, opera, maxthon, and google chrome] and the marquee works [so far] on all of them.

but i will copy and paste your instructions just in case something goes wrong with the marquee tags...

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
From the original "Top Ten Mistakes in Web Design", way back in 1996:
3. Scrolling Text, Marquees, and Constantly Running Animations

Never include page elements that move incessantly. Moving images have an overpowering effect on the human peripheral vision. A web page should not emulate Times Square in New York City in its constant attack on the human senses: give your user some peace and quiet to actually read the text!
Of course, <BLINK> is simply evil. Enough said.

Personally, I find that marquees usually don't move fast enough. We've got these wonderful rectus and oblique muscles that let us move our eyes, so text can stand still. A news box is a more usable design than a news ticker.

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
okay then ill go to that dynamic scroll bar site that was posted above a few posts. but i really dont see why i can't just use marquee, i put a behavior on it so when you place your mouse over it, it slows down so you can read it...

but nonetheless, ill try that weblink...

Last edited:

rufussweetwater

Reaction score
Please close thread!!!!!!!