Commodore 64

Lahr720

Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether anyone on the forums has or has had one of these classic PCs and used it for gaming.
C64.gif

I've owned several since the late 1980's and have a nice pile of games on those 5¼" floppies..

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
My older brother had one.. I don't remember using it at any point in my lifetime though

adamlinux

Reaction score
I have a c64 emulator, those are fun...Wish I had a real one though...

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I've never seen personally or have ever had a Commondore 64. Weren't many of the games for that PC just text based and not pixelated games?

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There were literally thousands of games for the system. They were 8-bit, comparable to NES graphics.

krysber

Reaction score
I had one, my cousins had one, my ex-uncle had one... awesome awesome little work horses... used to have the2nd gen c64, then when that died got an older one... had the 1541-II, 1581... had an old 1541... what a huge beast with the internal PS... fun fun times... I remember GEOS... first GUI OS on the c64.... and 5 minute load times... how spoiled we are now... lol.

opal-london

Reaction score
I Used to love the Comodore 64. You could find loads of games, thousands even..

My favourites were Jumpman, Gauntlet, Beachhead, Choplifter, Mission impossible (was inimpossible), and so many more.

Loading sometimes took ages, but was fun to play as a kid.

whitebus

Reaction score
Ah, another visitor. Stay a while... stay forever! (Impossible Mission)

Hours and hours of lost time. Jumpman was also sooo addictive.
Elite was also the first ever 3d space combat and trading game I ever played (probably first there ever was) Check out the into music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lKKy3l_5YI

Kermy

Reaction score
I had one! Even had a 1200 baud modem for it.. My firned and I (he had an Apple IIe) would call eachother and "chat" very slowly...lol

whitebus

Reaction score
It was a good investment. When I finally upgraded to a 286, the store had a $500 trade in offer for any system... I got $500 for the C64 (paid $250 for it) and sold the floppy drive and the modem off seperately for another $50.

opal-london

Reaction score
A 286 - wow, thats when you had to pay extra for a math co-processor and the memory was sooooo expensive.

I had a dot matrix printer for the c64. It pretty much lived in it's original box - good for printing an index for floppies containing various games but otherwise not really worthwhile. A Neighbour would load games from a tape drive that appeared to use audio casettes.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
ya, but honesty, don't you miss the turbo button?

That Turbo button was awesome. Too bad it wasn't an overclock button and instead just under clocked the CPU...

One thing I loved doing when I was younger with those PCs was beat Solitaire and toggle that button as the cards were falling off the deck and bouncing off the screen. Make them speed up and slow down. Classic DOS behavior for you :)

leo1954au

Reaction score
Paid $600 Aus for mine but then went to an Amiga 500 then a 286-SX 25 PC, they sell a lot on ebay these days.

majstorspeedy

Reaction score
Well i've had an C64 in the late 80's too.
I've learned basics of assembler programming with it than i moved on to A500 and later to an A4000T.
Those were real beasts... Still got my A500+ somewhere on the attic... :cool: