Comp Messup

Vietkid58

Reaction score
Help me plz... I messed up my comp...

1. I have a sony desktop (so the drives are partitioned into a small C drive and a large D Drive)
2. i've always been installing to C Drive and now its full and it lags.
3. i'm uninstalling from c and installing to D drive so i can defrag C
4. i created system restore points before each item.
5. i uninstalled MS OFfice 2000 but it must have not uninstalled properly because shortcuts were left behind.
6. i didn't notice and went ahead and installed it again to my D drive
7. somehow my c drive got fuller also and the settings seem like i hadn't uninstalled it from C... yet the files are on my D drive...
8. i thought it didnt' work right so i ran my restore point to before uninstalling
9. something must have went wrong again because the program doesn't work, i can't uninstall, and i can't install
10. i ran another restore point and now, its installed on both c and d but with lots of errors, i can run it from C (directly) but i keep getting errors popping up saying it can't locate some files for install...

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
It looks like you should reinstall c drive. Format it and reinstall the o/s and all your programs.

Vietkid58

Reaction score
thats the thing, i'm trying to stay away from Reformating... i'll do that if there is no humanly way possible to fix it...

Woolie

Reaction score
ahh go for the reformat. I good wipe and reinstall is always healthy occasionally. I have never used system restore, mainly because i dont trust it that it will work :)

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I agree with this a good format and reinstall everything will do it wonders. Anything you dont want to lose transfer to your d drive or partition and just reformat c

Admin_Woolie said:
ahh go for the reformat. I good wipe and reinstall is always healthy occasionally. I have never used system restore, mainly because i dont trust it that it will work :)

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
I also agree with them reformat it and your worrys are gone. Also reformat it so there is one drive not 2 becasue it will be easyer for you.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
He wants the 2 drives. Personally I run my hard drive partitioned so I can run longhorn and xp

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
Yes I do that also but if he dose not want to keep track of his hard drives 1 is the way to go.

Last edited:

chaganlal1

Reaction score
DO full system restore it works. When it goes into blue screen press i think f2 or f12 to get into it then put boot options to cdrom then put i nthe system restore cd. WARNING: you will loose everything you installed so burn that data on a cd first.

Vietkid58

Reaction score
if i reformat, how do i get one drive? the partion was there when i got comp and didnt know hwo to fix it

nigelwong

Reaction score
You can reformat just one drive. You can only get one main drive again by deleting both partitions and creating 2 again. If you want to stay away from these problems again, i'd suggest you just to have on main partition if your drive is under 40Gb.

Vietkid58

Reaction score
it seems like everyone is suggesting that i reformat... is there no other way to fix it?

how do i reformat so i only have 1 partition?

Matthews255

Reaction score
Reinstall Windows onto the C partition of the drive, that way the other partition is safe, thats what i do.

Vietkid58

Reaction score
doesn't taht give u like 2 different computers than? i'm trying to fix the error, not reformating my comp...