Computer crashed and need publishing info

wheedance

Reaction score
My computer died and I lost the settings I need to publish my page again. I've spent many hours recreating it.
Do I need an FTP directory? I have my web page, FTP site, FTP host and for my user name and password I use
my sign in email and password to the site.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is our family web page I've had for years and it includes
pictures of the son we lost. I really can't lose it and I need to be able to update it.
My web page is at http://ostbyfamily.x10host.com/index.htm
Do I need an FTP directory?
Thank you so much!

wheedance

Reaction score
Is my ftp user name and password the same one I use to log into my site? So far I haven't been able to publish my recovered site. I don't know the ftp directory

ctyrd

Reaction score
@wheedance
ftp host: ftp.ostbyfamily.x10host.com
username: should be the 8 characters service name "????????"
password: control panel password.
directory: /domain/ostbyfamily.x10host.com/public_html/

wheedance

Reaction score
How do I find the control panel password? Whenever I log in to the site I use my email and a password. This is what I need to enter for my software. Not sure if it's right. So far I'm not able to publish. I'm so sorry to be so dense! Thanks so much for the help!

Attachments

• web site info so far won't work.JPG
    web site info so far won't work.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 9

wheedance

Reaction score
I found my user name and changed my password and still can't publish. Says no such domain? Any idea how I can find the information I need for the above that my software requires? I've spent hours recreating this whole thing and now can't publish it. I was able to do it last year, but my computer died and now I don't know the proper settings.

ctyrd

Reaction score
I found my user name and changed my password and still can't publish. Says no such domain? Any idea how I can find the information I need for the above that my software requires? I've spent hours recreating this whole thing and now can't publish it. I was able to do it last year, but my computer died and now I don't know the proper settings.
I have no idea what software you are using. All the information you need to ftp (Publish) can be found here: x10 Client Portal under services. Use the blue "Hosting Control Panel" button to view the ftp settings.

Last edited:

wheedance

Reaction score
I'm using cute site builder. It's very old software but it works and I don't know how to do it any other way.

wheedance

Reaction score
I found the file that I'm supposed to back up on my old page (I have already copied and saved everything and recreated it on my software) but don't see how to save those files. I'm just give a choice to copy or move, but can't download them to my computer. (a friend also went and copied my whole site and sent me the files) The thing I am having trouble with is finding the correct settings to publish what I have recreated. These are the settings my software is asking for. Last year I was able to do it, but lost all of my settings when my computer crashed

Attachments

• web site info so far won't work.JPG
    web site info so far won't work.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 3

wheedance

Reaction score
I found the way to save my old site, I entered the settings to publish with my updates and it said it published, but only my old site shows. I did get this message so is it now in a new location that I can't find? I've spent so many days and hours on this. Any help will be appreciated!

Attachments

• web site error message.JPG
    web site error message.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 4

ctyrd

Reaction score
That is a CuteFTP warning message. You would have answered yes to "Do you want to continue?" for the files to write to the host. Creating & maintaining your own website has one drawback, "errors". Warnings are not errors.

Try Filezilla to check you are connected with your ftp setting, and get to know your way around the host filing system. Then you will know where to publish your files. If you do it enough it will become second nature.

wheedance

Reaction score
I did select yes to continue. I can preview the site and it shows it is there, but when I publish it isn't. I can see the preview here - file:///C:/Users/Hilda/AppData/Local/Temp/~tl946f/index.html
Right now we are preparing to leave for 3 weeks and this is my annual Christmas greeting that I would so love to be able to share. I do not have time to learn the new system right now. Thank you so much for your help!