Configuring FileZilla for file editing in Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hello guys,

** You need to use Ubuntu 8.04 for this to work! **
After looking into it, it appears you must be running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) for this to work. I don't think the repositories have been updated with the latest FileZilla release for some reason. See here for a good tutorial on upgrading to Hardy.

A few people seem interested in making FileZilla's edit function (right-click a file in the main window and choose 'Edit') work in Ubuntu Linux. The steps mentioned here may work in other Linux distributions too, but the file editor path or the file editor software itself may be different.

Anyways, here's how I did it:
  1. Open FileZilla from Applications > Internet > FileZilla FTP client.
  2. Choose 'Edit' from the menu bar and click 'Settings' in the resulting menu.
  3. From the 'Select page:' section on the left of the 'Settings' dialog, click 'File editing'.
  4. In the text box for the 'Default editor:' setting, type the following:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/gedit
    You must have a space at the end of the text or it won't work!
  5. Now click the 'OK' button. You might need to restart FileZilla for the changes to take effect, I'd certainly advise it.

I hope this helps somebody out there, I realise that not everyone understands things like this, although power users will find this simple.

Thanks for reading this, I hope it helps you (click the blue tick and rep me if it does :biggrin:),
-Luke.

Last edited:

wango

Reaction score
Re: Configuring FileZilla for file editing in Ubuntu

waaa thankyou verymuch ^^/ this is good topic .

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Configuring FileZilla for file editing in Ubuntu

Glad it helped you =D