connection problems

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Well lets see. I have a friend of mine that just purchased a computer from her college for school work. When she got this brand new computer home the first day (I took it out of the shipping box) I checked it out it was supposed to have a 2.2 gig Amd processor in it ..and it didn`t ...it clocked in at 1.6 gig, video card was supposed to be brand new ati card but it came with a 128 nvidia card in it. There was no restore disk sent with the computer and when we did finally get a restore disk ...it wasnt. It was a burned copy of Windows xp home and then the oem numbers didn`t match. The last problem was the back of the case was dinted in. not much but enough. LOL now on to my problem. She wanted on cable internet ...which I have setup millions of times before through usb and network cards. this one I just couldn`t get. It would not renew the ip address. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get it hooked up. the o/s is Win xp pro with a 5100 surfboard cable modem and usb 2.0 ports

P.S. I did tell her to take it back but she didn`t want to ( I think the computers screwed)

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
In device manager are the USB drivers installed? Can you test it with a cat 5 cable?

-Corey

repusmod

Reaction score
You really want it trough USB, when you go trough USB there is alot of chances that her internet go down, USB is instable, she don't have a network card? And to renew the ip it is easy open MS-DOS then type 'cmd' then enter, now type this 'IPconfig/Release' all ips will be set to 0. After that just type 'IPconfig/Renew' and the ip should be set auto... That is pretty much what you have to do..

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Corey and repusmod thank you ...

MS-DOS then type 'cmd' then enter, now type this 'IPconfig/Release' all ips will be set to 0. After that just type 'IPconfig/Renew' and the ip should be set auto... That is pretty much what you have to do..

Tried that

In device manager are the USB drivers installed?

Yep they are...any more ideas

repusmod

Reaction score
I'll ask again does she has a network card? and is she using a router?

greattastic

Reaction score
hmm..
maybe it's just a problem with the cat5? My aunt and uncle were having problems with connecting to their home network because they bought a crossover cable instead of a patch cable.

izmaelis

Reaction score
greattastic said:
hmm..
maybe it's just a problem with the cat5? My aunt and uncle were having problems with connecting to their home network because they bought a crossover cable instead of a patch cable.
And if you want to know if the UTP cat5 cable is correct type, that means standard not crossover, go and see some information here. I hope it helps.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
it is the correct type..she does have an ethernet card and I tried it aswell as the usb ports

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
Ok if you are using an ethernet port and that dose not work that means that the motherbord is screwed up...I am sorry.... I might not be, but I am prtty shure that it is. I have one last question before saying the motherboard is screwed up. DOse your PCI slots work?

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I`m not sure about the pci slots working I`m going to test that tommorrow but I have come to the same conclusion ...seeing as the ethernet card is on the motherboard if its gone then so is the motherboard. I had it narrowd down to iether the cable modem or the motherboard ...I`ll know for sure tommorrow when I test the pci slots out with a new ethernet card... thanks MicrotechXP and everyone else for your posts and your help its much appreciated :)

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
Your welcome. I am a prffesional at this becasue I am a computer Tech. All I want to do is help. Also if your PCI slots don't work your motherboard is gone. Get a new one. Also it can be the cable modem is messed up. But that is a only a little possibility...

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Yep you came to all the conclusions I did ....I`m a bit of a techie with computers to ...I`ve been building and repairing them now for about 8 to 10 years ...and I love helping and yes I do believe the cable modem is screwed to ....but I will know more tommorrow

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
ok... Tell me what happens... also tell that person that has that computer to send it back!!!!!! It is messed up and get a full refund!

Off topic: Can you validate me on your site, and why did you change your site from phpbb to SMF?

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
You are validated about 20 minutes ago ....and that computer she got it came through a college there the ones flippin the bill for it ...and yes it is going back ... I have also advised the college that this shop is giving out oem numbers with burned copies of windows and calling them restore disks, and charging about 150 bucks for each install

EDIT:
oh and the other board was to badly modified to keep ...some worked some didnt ...so its down and this smf is in its place ...its kinda cool ...has everything I wanted in php mods as defaults on this board ..and I can download and install modifications right from the admin panel of the forum ...no going into cpanel anymore