Constructive criticism and suggestions please

Dazz

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals

Some will know me cos I've been here a while others not so hello :biggrin:

Just been working on my new website/blog Don't Panic - here and would really like criticism and comments, suggestions on the layout and content.

Be gentle though because I'm sensitive :hahano:

Thanks guys and gals

Dazz

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals

Some will know me cos I've been here a while others not so hello :biggrin:

Just been working on my new website/blog Don't Panic - here and would really like criticism and comments, suggestions on the layout and content.

Be gentle though because I'm sensitive :hahano:

Thanks guys and gals

Dazz

There's an image at the top of your page that's broken (or it might just be my school's internet that's blocking it, I don't know). Otherwise, your website looks good, the content is well-organized and clean.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Site looks good especially the "Professional Services"menu. But if you look entire site it looks plain. For the articles can you add the images then it looks good.

One more thing, When I select any article then it is opening article page. But the side menubar is going down. I am using opera. Can you check that.

Dazz

Reaction score
Thanks adamparkzer I think it may be an advert thats being blocked by your school.

And thanks gsonline I've just checked with opera and can see the problem so I'm checking into that now, seems to be something to do with the css not being read by Opera the same as it is in FireFox which I use.

Anybody using IE6,7,8 who can have a look for me and tell me if any problems occur with those browsers?

Dazz

Coonz

Reaction score
Looks good, a bit to much white for me on the bottom section... Another thing, the ads, there's a bit much isn't there? In my opinion the top ad banner itself kills the layout.

Last edited:

Dazz

Reaction score
Thanks Coonz, I agree with the top banner kinda ruining the layout although I need to keep the X10 one because its required for the corporate hosting package and I kinda didn't want it interfering with the rest of the site.

The other ads are a little more flexible, I'm still experimenting with their layout to see what fits best where but I think I'll prune them down a bit :happysad:

playminigames

Reaction score
i like it all, very simple, but yet it can hold lots of content. I dont like ads, but they are like tv commercials, they have to be there, plain and simple. Good luck!

Coonz

Reaction score
Oh, I am not saying remove all the ads. Just some hurt the layout more than others. Also, the position can be key. Good luck.

spwebdesign

Reaction score
concerning graphics -
my personal preference would be to see more contrast in the "dont panic" writing, it seems to leave the eye wondering where to go - giving more depth to the negative space typically found inside a "D, O, and P" may help this. The overall font of the writing is really cool though!

Also I think it would help the page to give some type of background behind the posts, this will help give closure to the posts, especially when scrolling down below to ads on the right side. A simple gradient (from post-left and post-right outwards) that matches the grey in your top banner would do the trick, it would also help to distinguish your page from the 'corporate banner.'

lastly (viewing on firefox / ubuntu 9.04 / 15.6 screen) the ads on the right feel uncomfortably close to the post - seemingly throwing the page off balance, css wise I would set them up in relation to the right side of the page about 10px (margin-right:10px;) and throw something in there to make sure on smaller screens they dont overlap on the posts.

hope you like some of these comments!!!

Dazz

Reaction score
Thank You playminigames. Yeah unfortunately adverts are a necessary evil these days to try and earn a penny or two :hahano:

And thanks spwebdesign, really useful advice. Going to have a look and see what I can do with the layout to make it better especially for the css problems in Opera that I've been informed about LOL.

Thanks again everyone and keep them coming, this is really useful stuff :)