Contacts vs. Glasses

Scott B

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)
Okay so I have glasses but they broke yesterday (not intentionally, but I really was getting fed up with them :p). Okay so I had to go to school yesterday and everyone (or about 5 billion people, whichever number is less) was like "where's your glasses?" and I had a couple people even say I look better without glasses. (Of course) my parents and sister think I look weird but some of their opinions are also a little strange. It felt really weird going to school today with no glasses after wearing them for 9 years (I got some strange looks and some people didn't even recognize me lol). I have a slight astigmatism in my left eye but it has really gotten better over the years so I'm not really sure I need any vision correction anymore. So I am probably going to get my eyes checked soon and if I still need vision correction should I get contacts or glasses? Which one does everyone like better? Tell me why. I am seriously thinking about getting contacts because in a way this experience kinda boosted my self esteem which was previously buried deep underground. In contrast, my parents think I'm perfect already and by seeing them seeing me without glasses....well I don't know what they were thinking but I just wonder how they would feel about me asking them about getting contacts. I guess they have just grown attached to that little 5 year old in glasses I once was. So unfortunately my dad immediately went to get them repaired and finally did after going to multiple shops trying to look for someone that will fix my glasses. So I have 2 questions: what should I do, and which is better - contact lenses or glasses?

Last edited:

VPmase

Reaction score
Lol xD Lazer Eye Surgery :p

Nah, just kidding. I have contacts and glasses and I switch on and off with both. I like wearing my glasses when I feel too lazy to put some contacts in and when I'm home not planning to go out. But I'm trying to impress I like wearing my contacts.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Laser is the way to go actually (if your vision is VERY bad). It's cost-effective in the long run, and I imagine many of the risks from it have gone down.

Most people who use contacts also have a pair of glasses. I wear contacts when I go out, but otherwise I wear glasses at home.

kateblogs

Reaction score
I have both. I wear my glasses when I'm not planning to go out and for reading in bed, but contacts the rest of the time. They are a lot easier once you get used to putting them in - you don't have to worry about them steaming up on cold days which is definitely a plus.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting some form of eye surgery when I'm old enough. My vision won't be perfect but maybe it will be good enough to do things like driving without glasses. I haven't worn contact lenses but glasses are annoying when it rains since they get covered in water that only smears when you try to wipe it off, they fog up completely when you go from a cold to warm place, they don't correct your peripheral vision, the nose pads can leave red marks on your nose, they're uncomfortable at times (I just know it feels much better having them off than on.), and a problem I've had with my most recent pair is the screws constantly coming loose and the lenses falling out, which is why I currently am attending school without them. I wanted to be able to see clearly in the pool, but I dove in and my glasses flew to the bottom, and when I got them from the bottom a lense was missing which I was unable to find after desperate searching of the bottom of the 9-foot-deep end. Luckily we're doing testing since school's almost out, because I can't see the board from more than a foot away and we usually have to look at the board or an overhead projector. You've also got to do a lot more head movement when you are copying something from the board or projector since you can't just look up and down with your eyes. If I didn't need glasses I could just look up and look down.

Last edited:

Scott B

Reaction score
I completely agree, and luckily I can see well (to some extent) without my glasses.

ThePBgod

Reaction score
Is anyone here, who wears contacts, near-sided?

I've worn contacts on and off for the last few years. They do an amazing job for me, with seeing far away. The problem I run into is when I'm here at my desk. When I need to see things close up, its not that things get blurry. Its just my eyes just seem to..not like looking at things close up with contacts in. And lately I've been giving lasic eye surgery a thought. Because I hate having to put in my contacts and take them out every day. I'm just worried that if I get the surgery, I'll have the exact same problem with my eyes, in regards to viewing things closer up, with the contacts.

Anyone else experience something similar?

IonCannon218

Reaction score
I'm near-sighted and have glasses and I'm thinking about getting contacts.
I prefer to have my glasses off when I'm looking at close up things. When i let my eyes relax on close up things when my glasses is off, I can see it clearly, but with my glasses on, it's blurry.

hermitobserver

Reaction score
i have neither, but i know a lot about them.
Contacts are bad for your eyes. Because they don't allow your eyes to "breathe". Glasses are better, but they only look right on some people. I would rather have contacts anyway............is anyone ever going to invent suntacts.(like sun glasses)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd say Glases. Really, it all depends on what you want. Contacts can be a pain from what I've heard. They can rip, dry out, and are easy to lose. With glasses, all you really have to worry about is losing them (but they are very easy to find) or break them. Besides, if you're more of an appearance type person, glasses might actually make you look good.

jonathanyaniv

Banned
Reaction score
I'd say contacts actually. Glasses can fall off, break, you can lose them, they cost a lot, they look geekish at times, you can be called 4 eyes. Contacts, on the other hand, no one can see them, cheap, u cant really lose them, and if u do, u just put another one in. Luckily, i never had to use either, so yeah :)

eliasr

Reaction score
Contacts if you want to keep your personality, and glasses if you dont worry to see like a new person.

For health, the two are good, and if i need use it i choose glasses.