Cool new way to view websites

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
This is a sweet Java applet which allows you to view the HTML structure of a site visually. I know it sounds kinda odd, but it's pretty cool. It parses the HTML tags and represents them as colored dots with relationships between them. I used it on my site while developing, and thought it might be useful for others.

http://www.aharef.info/2006/05/websites_as_graphs.htm

On that guy's blog, you can see a few examples of popular sites. I recommend submitting your own site to see how you fair. Check out x10Hosting.com too, it uses a crazy amount of tables.

foggysmoke

Reaction score
Well, it's certainly fun to look at, and who needs more reason than that? But I fail to see how it could be used to further develop a website. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the link, though.

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Well, by visualizing the relationships of the HTML elements, you can decide which ones are most important and which ones you can get rid of. For example, if your site uses a lot of images (violet) then you may want to consider redesigning it to use less bandwidth.

Or, in the case of x10, realizing that tables-based site structures are bad form and render sites W3C standards non-compliant.

I guess it's is only useful to someone who is as meticulus about their site design as I am.

jensen

Reaction score
A forum would be tabled based because it uses data. Tables and data are meant to be together.

CSS is meant for layout not displaying data like in a forum.

lambada

Reaction score
by x10 I think The_MAgistrate was reffering to the main x10 site, not the forums.

That is really weird, I think I would prefer it if it displayed it in a more linear form say where each element actually is used on the page rather than the weird way it does at the moment.

But again, thats just me. It's rather cool though :) Nice find.

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
The_Magistrate said:
Well, by visualizing the relationships of the HTML elements, you can decide which ones are most important and which ones you can get rid of. For example, if your site uses a lot of images (violet) then you may want to consider redesigning it to use less bandwidth.

Or, in the case of x10, realizing that tables-based site structures are bad form and render sites W3C standards non-compliant.

I guess it's is only useful to someone who is as meticulus about their site design as I am.

Yea your completely true. When the PSD for x10's main site was sliced that's how it was done. It kinda sucks.. But I don't really have time to convert it to the 100% CSS and Div's, as much as I would like to.. :-(

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Bryon said:
Yea your completely true. When the PSD for x10's main site was sliced that's how it was done. It kinda sucks.. But I don't really have time to convert it to the 100% CSS and Div's, as much as I would like to.. :-(

Bummer. Creating a site from sliced images is kinda a cop-out I think. Also it wastes bandwidth. Think about all those poor 56kers who have to wait for those images to download! Atleast the site looks nice.