copyright content

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwierdo

Reaction score
i am trying to publish a site for medical students and it features many latest medical ebooks , which will obviously breach the copyright issue. now my question is that will my site be allowed if i don't upload those copyright-violated contents to your server but simply provide the link of the file hosting sites where those materials are located.
i think that this will not violate your terms of service as you will not be keeping the copyright-violated items in your server. will such a thing be allowed?????

if this is not allowed then what should i do to host my site here at x10hosting...???
plzzz reply me soon

strider96

Reaction score
That will not violate the terms but the author could sue you and according to the US copyright law. If you get caught will be charged $250,000.

I recommend you ask the permission of the author or provide the link to the ebook which is on the author/publisher/distributor's website.

Hope it help. :biggrin:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
That will not violate the terms but the author could sue you and according to the US copyright law. If you get caught will be charged $250,000.

I recommend you ask the permission of the author or provide the link to the ebook which is on the author/publisher/distributor's website.

Hope it help. :biggrin:

I believe you're 100% in the wrong here actually. That WOULD violate the x10hosting TOS to even link to the offending material:

» Warez : Includes pirated software, ROMS, emulators, phreaking, hacking, password cracking, IP spoofing, etc., and encrypting of any of the above. Also includes any sites which provide "links to" or "how to" information about such material.

Warez is a VERY broad term nowadays and it pretty much boils down to "is it illegal, and if so, are you hosting it or linking it? yes? Banned." Zero Tolerance is now in effect so expect to lose your account if you're even linking to this.

I should point out I've reported dozens of sites in the past that linked to external files that violated copyright; none were in existence after 24 hours.

Trust me on this - do NOT even link to them unless you have the rights to distribute them.

drwierdo

Reaction score
well mr. live wire but i would simply want to provide links to medical ebooks and animations. they most probably won't fall under the "warez" category . so i should be allowed, shouldn't i???

and they specifically mention in the TOS that placing and EVEN providing LINK to warez and anime will not be allowed but they have not either NOT mentionaed OR they have FORGOTTEN to mention similar things in the section of the copyright material.

if they don't even allow the links to the copyright material then they SHOULD mention it in the TOS or it means that they will NOT tolerate hosting such materials in their server BUT they can TURN BLIND EYE to the links!!!!!!

however i would very much appreciate the response of the admin to this issue...

P.S. thanx the quick response though, you all in this forum are so willing to help others. good job guys!!

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
wikipedia said:
"Warez" refers primarily to copyrighted works traded in violation of copyright law.
vipdubs said:
Illegally distributed intellectual property, such as software, movies or music.

Would seem the definition of Warez can, and in fact does include anything that violates copyright law.

The fact of the matter boils down to this however: should x10 catch you, x10 is required by law to suspend the account immediately, and in many cases provide any and all available information to the proper authorities. If you want to go ahead and risk it, be my guest, but don't be surprised if you try to view the site or log into cpanel and find your account to be missing in action.

drwierdo

Reaction score
I believe you're 100% in the wrong here actually. That WOULD violate the x10hosting TOS to even link to the offending material:

Warez is a VERY broad term nowadays and it pretty much boils down to "is it illegal, and if so, are you hosting it or linking it? yes? Banned." Zero Tolerance is now in effect so expect to lose your account if you're even linking to this.

I should point out I've reported dozens of sites in the past that linked to external files that violated copyright; none were in existence after 24 hours.

Trust me on this - do NOT even link to them unless you have the rights to distribute them.

well does this TOS apply only to the free users without the ad scheme or even to those under the ad scheme

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
The warez part applies to everything, including paid - the only real difference is that on paid you stand to lose much more, because if the client breaches the contract, x10 is not obligated to give a refund for the remaining hosting period.

Only real differences between ad-enhanced and ad-free are that you end up on a different server, and have to display ads on the site.

Edit: I should point out that the x10 tos at http://x10hosting.com/termsofservice applies to all the free hosting plans, there's some differences for paid but not that particular part.

Last edited:

David

IRC: For Cool People!
Reaction score
Livewire is 150% right here.

The copyright law may not say that you can't link to such content, but the x10 ToS does, and should you do so, and you are caught, your account will most likely be deleted.

(And you can bet that there are staff watching your account now, I would be after reading this thread.)

drwierdo

Reaction score
i would very much like to have reply of the admin on this issue.

AND if i can't do such things then can anyone suggest any alternative trustworthy free webhost

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
i would very much like to have reply of the admin on this issue.

AND if i can't do such things then can anyone suggest any alternative trustworthy free webhost

On the former, you'd wanna post a support ticket to guarantee an upper-staffsperson would actually see this thread (feel free to link to it): http://support.x10hosting.com

As for the latter, you'll find most TOS's explicitly forbid this type of site as well - the majority of the sites of this sort that do exist, from what I have seen, aren't normally on a paid host of any kind - the site actually owns the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.