Copywriting Tip #3: Fire the bullets!

arkad

Reaction score
Enough have been said about "Headlines" in my past contributions. Let’s talk about "Bullets"
Every bullet MUST contain a benefit. Always answer the question for your reader: "what’s in it for me?"
Tip 1:
Add numbers when ever possible. Numbers give certainty and reassurance to the reader!
Here is really a classic example (Quoted by my Professor, Dr Sommerville):
An American came to Singapore and needed to have some settle some paperwork with the Immigration Department.

So at the counter, he said to the customer service personnel ..

"Hi there, I am here to submit my documents to get my XYZ form approved .. I’m in a hurry so how long will it take??"

The lady politely, answered with a smile!

"A while, sir."

"WHAT!! A WHILE!! This is just a simple form and I’ll just need a stamp on it and you’ll need A WHILE!! Wat’s wrong with you people???"

The lady quitely whispered to herself

"Wat’s wrong with you?!?!? @#$%@$"
What happened here is this "A While" to the American mean "quite a wait" .. probably a 1/2hr to 1hr .. .. whereas in our local context .. a while usually meant 5-10mins

Well there is nothing usual about each’s reaction and obviously there’s nothing wrong with their intentions. It is the wrong perception of a subjective phrase "A While" .. The whole situation will be totally different if the lady had replaced it with
"Just gimme 10mins."
So avoid them!

Tip 2:
Odd numbers (1, 3, 5, 7 .. ) tend to stick in the mind .. I don’t why .. this is often said ..

Tip 3:
Keep it short and to-the-point.

I’ve seen presentations that bullet an entire paragraph and that complete drifted my attention away! If you have a lot to mention it would be better to use Sub-headers followed by the paragraph.

Here are a dozen of templates that you can use in your future writing

1. How to develop a successful ________ at low cost, no matter what business you are in.
  2. The little know secret to using ________ to get dozens and dozens of _________
  3. The A-B-C formula for ___________
  4. How to avoid the 12 biggest ________ mistakes.
  5. 7 simple steps that will get you ________
  6. 9 ways to slash your ________costs.
  7. Uncover 3 ways to _______
  8. Discover a natural cure for your _______ (Hint: it’s not what you think it is!)
  9. The 3 magic words to say that __________
  10. How to quickly and easily create ________, using nothing but _______
  11. 3 critical questions you must have answered.
  12. How to become a ________ even if you can’t _______