Copywriting Tips #2 - "6 Rules to a Good Headline"

arkad

Reaction score
The 6 Rules to a Good Headline!

Rule #1.
Your headline must appeal to your readers self interest. Tune in to everybody's favorite radio station "W.I.I.F.M." which stands for "What's In It For Me?"

Your headline must answer this critical question.

And it's not just your headline! In fact, every part of your writing has to reader-focused. No one cares half a twit about what you have to offer! They are only interested in how your 'offer' can benefit them!

Rule #2.
Your headline must reach out to your prospect, grab them by the throat and shake them as though you are saying: "Hey, I'm talking to YOU."

So unless you are writing to a University professor in the field of classical literature, PLEASE write in conversational manner. Don't be afraid to start a sentence with 'But ..' / 'And ..' .. forget what your teacher taught you in Grade3! You are only graded by the responses you intended for your writings.

Rule #3.
Your headline must deliver a clear and understandable message. It doesn't matter how good your product or service is, if your headline doesn't stand out like a beacon in the sky, your advert or sales message won't get read.

Which will result in poor sales.

Rule #4.
If you have news, such as a new product, get that news into your headline in a big way.

Example: "Announcing: The New Bald Cure Guaranteed to Make Trevor Crook Look Like He's Got A Full Crop of Hair!"

Rule #5.
DO NOT be cutesy or clever. These types of headline are a complete waste of money as they will NOT
get read.

A rule of thumb is "For expressing - IN; For impressing - OUT!"

Rule #6.
Include current news, events or well known celebrities into your headline as this can increase readership.

Example: A public relations company might run an advert:
"How To Get More Exposure For Your Business Than Janet Jackson At The Super Bowl."
(Google for JJ's incident with Justin Timberlake!!)