Corrupt files from NAS over FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandogg

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my NAS enclosure. (Its a cheapo Safecom NSURF - 10100F)

Problem is:
Firstly I transfer good exe or setup files to it from my PC, over FTP , using FileZilla.

Transfer mode is Auto but I have tried Binary transfer only.

I then download the file back, via FTP using FileZilla and try to run them, I always get a file corrupt error message.

I have tried several exe/setup files and they all get corrupted.

The same happens to word document files.

txt files and mp3 files seem to work fine. (I've not tried other types of files yet):dunno:

The same happens if I map the drive over FTP through Windows.

Any help is much appreciated :happysad:

sandogg

Reaction score
Well I guess nobody has any Ideas.

Well I asked around at my University and my Computer Engineering lecturer was also stumped as he thought FTP would not give these sorts of erros.

He advised to try CuteFTP client. I had not tired this one as its not free.
CuteFTP worked but hanged at 99% before completing the download with no corruption.

But that was good enough.

I then started a thread regarding this at the forum for the online store I bought it from
The suggestion which worked was to do with the sync speeds and possible cross talk/interference.

I had to change my pc NIC to 10Mbps/Half Duplex and the switch on the router for the NAS to 100Mbps/Half Duplex.
These are the settings that work anyway.

What I don't understand is how I can access the Network Drive via windows network places and transfer files with no corruption over same links at 100Mbps/Full duplex but not over FTP.

Another thing is I just tried CuteFTP Home trial and it works over the 100Mbps/Full duplex connections. It hangs for about 30s at 99% or 95% then resumes and the download is not corrupted.
All the other FTP clients (including web browser) seem to need that tweak with the sync speed...

I know how to fix the problem now but I would also like to know the most likely cause...:happysad:

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.