cPanel Alternative! (written in php)

javajenius

Reaction score
I was looking at other free hosts (no offence to x10, they're the best), and they all seemed to be missing cPanel. Since php is a popular language, and many hosts have it installed, i decided to try to create my own "free" web hosting panel in php. I know its crazy,:nuts: but i think i can DO IT. I have the file manager so far, and its not too bad right?

Just take a look lol ;)

http://java.x10hosting.com

EDIT: By the way, i suck at php, if anyone could help me with writing it, that would be great!

Last edited:

LHVWB

Reaction score
It looks pretty nice, but what's wrong with just using cpanel?

D-MaN

Reaction score

I think you missed the point here... it's not intended to be used in the place of cPanel, but in lieu of cPanel. This is actually quite handy. A friend of mine has a paid host (really quite awful it is, he get less for $7 CAD a month than I do here, for free) and their control panel is junk. Really all is is is basic email management. No fil upload or anything. This would be really helpful for him on his host, so I'll be sure to pass this link along to him!

Big thanks to the OP.

Cheers!

javajenius

Reaction score
I think you missed the point here... it's not intended to be used in the place of cPanel, but in lieu of cPanel. This is actually quite handy. A friend of mine has a paid host (really quite awful it is, he get less for $7 CAD a month than I do here, for free) and their control panel is junk. Really all is is is basic email management. No fil upload or anything. This would be really helpful for him on his host, so I'll be sure to pass this link along to him!

Thanks for you reply, its just something for fun and ill try to work on it some more.

I didnt say that cpanel was bad, I think cpanel is the best control panel. I just said that those who didnt have cpanel or who didnt feel like paying for theirs, could use this one.

Thanks again for your replies.

Scott B

Reaction score
Wow, this looks really good! If I was hosting my own server would use it :)

Sohail

Reaction score
I think i would still prefer the cPanel, i just wish there was another way to access it rather than having to go to another port as most proxy filters block it...

Last edited:

42type

Reaction score
Hey this is kinda neat, I might be interested in helping in the programming, I've been doing php and mysql for 4 year, I also do webdesign so I can help design the interface !

sunils

Reaction score
Thats a good idea. The design looks good. But you missed out an important thing. The logout link.

javajenius

Reaction score
Thats a good idea. The design looks good. But you missed out an important thing. The logout link.

Forgot lol, ill fix it.

Hey this is kinda neat, I might be interested in helping in the programming, I've been doing php and mysql for 4 year, I also do webdesign so I can help design the interface !

If you can help, that would be great, you can design or do php, or whatever you like. :biggrin:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your replies.

42type

Reaction score
Yah for sure, if you want you can add me to msn, also I have an extra domain name im not using.

Daniel S

Reaction score
this control panel looks good if i knew how to setup a server to work with it i would start a hosting company lol

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
this control panel looks good if i knew how to setup a server to work with it i would start a hosting company lol

I wouldn't, lots more to it than just running the server (helping to prevent fraud, advertisements since it won't pay for itself, the inevitable DDoS from someone who was upset that they got terminated for something that you had a legit right to terminate their account for, etc.)

In any case I like the idea of this cPanel alternative - sounds like it'd be PHPMyAdmin, just for the hosting account rather than for mysql :)

Hazirak

Reaction score
I would definitely be willing to help with something like this in any way I could. Send me a PM and I can give you my MSN, if you'd rather not use AIM.

While I agree so far I would rather use cPanel, this would be an excellent alternative for those who don't have access to it.

Last edited:

javajenius

Reaction score
Yah for sure, if you want you can add me to msn, also I have an extra domain name im not using.

I would definitely be willing to help with something like this in any way I could. Send me a PM and I can give you my MSN, if you'd rather not use AIM.
I have never used aim or msn before.

If you could help me out a little?, but i do have an email. [mscenaj(at)yahoo.com]

Thank you all for being so helpful. I have a question.

I was wondering, how i could protect my site with php and encryption instead of basic (clear text) authorization. I looked on google and found some examples, but they were too complicated for me. I just want a basic login but i want it to be secure (and with php of course). Any help would be appreciated, THANKS AGAIN.

Last edited:

Hazirak

Reaction score
Email works too, I almost always have mine up on my other monitor... [godseth1(at)gmail(dot)com]

The closest I've been able to get to a secure login system without something like SSL is to one-way encrypt passwords before storing them (something I actually have done before successfully using the crypt("string") function). To see if the password a user enters is correct, encrypt the password they entered before comparing it against the one stored in MySQL, a text file, etc. - if the password is correct, the two encrypted ones will match. Being one-way encrypted, there's no easy way to decrypt the password... but in this case, that works to your advantage.

42type

Reaction score
the best way to create a simple secure login script is by using md5 encryption and object oriented programming.

Also I shall email you, and if you want to get msn, go to live.com and register for an account, then download the msn messenger.

Scott B

Reaction score
If you get some more developers this project will probably go along alot faster