cPanel webmail Horde Fatal Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Dow

Reaction score
Hi just setting up various bits and pieces for my website when I encountered this problem.

I was attempting to initialise via cPanel the webmail selecting "Horde" to be able to read mail sent (or bounced back) to my server account but all I got was this error message.

Horde :: Fatal Error

A fatal error has occurred

DB Error: connect failed

Details have been logged for the administrator.

So I need some support so as to get my server webmail working here on x10hosting please. :dunno:

Further information - the url was http://absolut.x10hosting.com:2095/horde/index.php

Last edited:

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
Many have had issues with built-in Email tools such as Horde.
It seems something has happened during server transfers thats messed up cPanels webmail systems.
You may have to wait until staff fix this issue.
If you want an alternative to use, try using Google Apps.
It's basically Gmail but your the administrator.
It's free. http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html ;)

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi just setting up various bits and pieces for my website when I encountered this problem.

I was attempting to initialise via cPanel the webmail selecting "Horde" to be able to read mail sent (or bounced back) to my server account but all I got was this error message.

So I need some support so as to get my server webmail working here on x10hosting please.

Further information - the url was http://absolut.x10hosting.com:2095/horde/index.php

Horde is having some problem..

You can try SquirrelMail, It is working fine

Last edited:

Peter Dow

Reaction score
Blacklisted by mail service providers as well?

I have just tested to see if php mail() function sends mail OK but the mail doesn't arrive at my yahoo email account.

So is the php mail() being BLACKLISTED by yahoo and other email services, is it?

This is one of the reasons I wanted to check my server webmail - to see if any emails are being bounced back from mail service providers such as Yahaoo, hotmail and gmail.

I am beginning to get the distinct impression that x10hosting has got a VERY BAD REPUTATION out there - listed on McAfee and it looks like maybe blacklisted by mail companies as well.

Is that right, is x10hosting treated as a leper colony of websites because of a few spammers, phishers and scam artists who have snuck in here and the x10hosting staff have not winked them out of the system and kept them out to restore x10hosting's reputation out there on the internet?

I am getting a bad feeling about x10hosting. Is that fair?
Edit:
Horde is having some problem..

You can try SquirrelMail, It is working fine
OK thanks. I have got started with SquirrelMail - seems to send and receive email to Yahoo OK. :biggrin:

Now I need to figure out what is happening with my php mail. I wonder if I will have more luck with sending mail via SMTP? :dunno:

Last edited:

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes You can use SMTP to send mail

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.scot.exofire.net port 25
Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) absolut.x10hosting.com port 465

Last edited:

Peter Dow

Reaction score
Could not connect to SMTP host - connection timed out

Yes You can use SMTP to send mail

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.scot.exofire.net port 25
Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) absolut.x10hosting.com port 465
Hey thanks. Yes cPanel Configure Mail Client is telling me

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.scot.exofire.net (server requires authentication) port 25

It also says -

Mail Server Username: peterdow

Now for the authentiction I will need an SMTP Password.

Now here is a strange thing so which password? You see it was telling me

Mail Server Username: peterdow

BEFORE I had created an email account via cPanel.
Indeed I could send and receive email via SquirrelMail to and from peterdow@scot.exofire.net
BEFORE I had created peterdow@scot.exofire.net via cPanel.

So wondering "WHAT THE HELL PASSWORD SHOULD I USE??" and my x10hosting account password not seeming to work, I THEN created a peterdow@scot.exofire.net email account using cPanel and at that point I entered a new password.

However, I have tried various combinations with the suggested and alternative guesses STMP usernames

peterdow
peterdow@scot.exofire.net
peterdow+scot.exofire.net

with that newly created password but
but I am not getting EVEN connected to the SMTP mail server it seems. I am not even getting an authentication error as yet - just a failure to connect error message.

Could not connect to smtp host : 110 : Connection timed out
So something is well screwed up with my SMTP mail. What exactly I have no idea. :dunno:

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
The correct information is

username: peterdow+scot.exofire.net
host: mail.scot.exofire.net port: 25
Password: Password of email "peterdow@scot.exofire.net"

Last edited:

Peter Dow

Reaction score
The correct information is

username: peterdow+scot.exofire.net
host: mail.scot.exofire.net port: 25
Password: Password of email "peterdow@scot.exofire.net"
Nope it is not working with those values.

In case you haven't guessed I am testing out the SMTP mail function for my forum which is a phpBB2 modification. I don't input the port number which I presume must be stuck at 25.

When I try to send an email via the board it hangs for 30 seconds, then either

Sometimes - "Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage" (what is it with that - are x10hosting servers heavily overloaded?)

or other times - "Could not connect to smtp host : 110 : Connection timed out"
The phpBB2 forum allows you to use either the php mail() function or its SMTP functions.

php mail() completes without an error message but no mail arrives because presumably it is not sent.

Using the SMTP option fails with an error message failed to connect to the SMTP outgoing mail server - host.

So I can't get my board emails sent either way :dunno:

FURTHER.

Using my same forum software, from another mirror, I can send SMTP mail using an independent SMTP service - unlimitedmail.org as it happens.

If I put in the SMTP details for the unlmitedmail.org mail server in my forum configuration running here on scot.exofire.net - I get the same failure to connect time out message.

So it looks like there is something wrong here.

MORE INFO

Looking at the SMTP code the call to the php fuinction fsockopen is failing with 110 being the error number returned and "Connection timed out" being the error message returned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.