cPanel's File Manager error

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostHorizon

Reaction score
Hi,

Since last month (if I remember correctly), whenever I open the File Manager in the cPanel (using Internet Explorer 8 browser on Windows XP) as I usually do, the contents of my file directories are not displayed (reloading the page doesn't work either). Below is the error that I've got when double-clicking on the yellow error warning icon at the bottom left corner of the browser:

Line: 1
Char: 2284
Code: 0
URI: https:// absolut.x10hosting.com:2083/cPanel_magic_revision_1345779881/frontend/x10x3/js/filemanager_optimized.js

However, Legacy File Manager (in Internet Explorer) and both File Managers (in Firefox) work fine. I wonder if anybody else experiencing the same problem.

Thank you very much.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I can't really speak for the folks who make cPanel, but that may be deliberate (and one of the reasons why the Legacy File Manager exists).

Supporting IE8 and below is difficult and expensive, especially when you want to have feature parity with modern browsers (which, for the purposes of this discussion, would include IE versions newer than 8) and those features are non-trivial. Rather than holding back development for other browsers (crippling your application so that it only includes features that are compatible with IE<9) or doubling/tripling up on the amount of code and the number of conditional branches required in that code, it's often a better decision to provide access to near-equivalent functionality using an alternate path that won't affect continuing development. Both XP and IE8 have ceased non-maintenance development and support; they are very much "legacy" technologies, and I don't know too many developers who won't charge a whole lot extra to support them.

In any case, it's a cPanel issue rather than an x10Hosting issue. x10Hosting merely uses the software, they don't create or maintain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.