Creating a Card Game Script

Rhianna

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm on a quest to create a card game script.
You can read all about my quest at freewebspace.net here
I like tarot cards and I would like to program images of tarot card spreads on my site to offer free readings. I'd like to display the cards and my interpretations of those cards automatically.

This is an interesting programming project & I know the results won't be instant.
I've been thinking of various ways of creating the script.

I am thinking of using PHP and possibly Java or CGI.PERL. What other scripting langages would you use? This is something that interests me, so I will try to begin at a simpler level and then progress.
Right now I have been looking into how to create Arrays:

Arrays are the most common data structure that you will encounter in programming. They are so common, in fact, that they are "built-in" to many languages, including C, C++ and Java. An array is a homogeneous, random access data structure. Random Access means that it takes the same amount of time to access any element of the array (ie. you do not have to go through the array to find the element you are looking for). When we look at other data structures it will put this feature in perspective. Homogeneous means that all of the elements are of the same data type. Arrays can hold primitive types or references. [1]

I am currently reading a book entitled Relational Database Design Clearly Explained by Jan L. Harrington and in the future would like to merge interpretations into databases so that my online readings could become very complex (that's a bit into the future).

I am a beginning programmer & I am considering various scripts that I might use and/or build upon. Has anyone he created a card game program like Poker or Keno or anything? If you wanted to download a free zip file of (regular) playing card images (gifs) for either personal or professional use, you could do so at
http://www.jfitz.com/cards/
and create a solitaire game or other card game. If you are interested in programming arrays or programming objects such as cards and shuffling them at random, be sure to read
this post of mine because I included many educational links to programming so that others might learn & benefit from this project of mine :)
So please take a look and if you have any ideas, post them to this forum or PM me either at x10Hosting or at PCRiot :)

Thanks & Happy Programming :)

Last edited:

Rhianna

Reaction score
Theory said:
In my opinion, I think that PHP would be able to give you what you are looking for. I am not completely sure about actually creating the script, as I am not exactly a PHP guru. If you are looking to pay somebody to create the script for you, post a project at ScriptLance. Good Luck!

Thanks for the tip on ScriptLance but I am trying to learn how to do it myself if I can :eek:

I found some interesting PHP scripts & I'm just thinking of ways to adapt them.

Thanks

Rhianna

clement

Reaction score
good luck with your quest rhianna..i'm sure you can reach that goal =p

Conor

Reaction score
What exactly ARE tarot cards?

Maybe you can also look at Java.....you could combine Java scripts too :)

www.hotscripts.com

Post there and see what they think :)

Rhianna

Reaction score
BlueSuedeShoes said:
What exactly ARE tarot cards?

Maybe you can also look at Java.....you could combine Java scripts too :)

www.hotscripts.com

Post there and see what they think :)

Thanks for the tip. I went to the library and borrowed some books on Java today & they look very promising & helpful in terms of what I'd like to do :)

A tarot card deck is made of 78 cards: 56 cards are part of the "Minor Arcana" which is divided into 4 suits numbered Ace through 10 with court cards.

Then there is a "Major Arcana" (22 cards) known as "Trump cards" depicting major figures and numbered I to XXI with an unumbered "Fool."
Some see tarot cards as a pictorial presentation of Medieval & Renaissance times (when the cards first appeared). There was a popular Italian game of Tarocco which is related to our tarot deck.
I'm a big Medieval & Renaissance history buff, so that's how I initially became attracted to the cards. You can see a medieval deck online called the Marseilles Tarot

Somehow tarot cards "survived" a few centuries to be "re-discovered" by occultists during the late 18th Century.

Tarot cards are often associated with fortunetelling and thus some religious groups denounce tarot cards. I think anyone who denounces tarot cards is taking the cards too seriously. Tarot cards can be lots of fun as an entertainment medium & that's what they are good for. It is absurd to believe that tarot cards could really predict the future :D

Here's a good background to tarot

Playing cards & Tarot

If you'd like to see all the Rider-Waite images online:
http://www.swcp.com/pcaskey/tarot/INDEX01.JPG
http://www.swcp.com/pcaskey/tarot/INDEX02.JPG

Conor

Reaction score
Well glad I could help. :)

Sounds interesting. Will check out the links later on.

Rhianna

Reaction score
I borrowed a bunch of Java books from the library. The good thing about Java 2: The Complete Reference, Fifth Edition by Herbert Schildt [McGraw-Hill/Osborne] is that the source code for the examples & projects from the book are available for free download here

I should be able to look at and adapt different examples of code to create some type of card script to add interest to my site :)

Conor

Reaction score
Didn't I post here? Anyways give your site a makeover when your done the script! It needs one IMHO. ;)

Rhianna

Reaction score
BlueSuedeShoes said:
Didn't I post here? Anyways give your site a makeover when your done the script! It needs one IMHO. ;)

Look at page 1 of this thread. You suggested using Java & then asked what tarot cards are. The entire thread is there.

You told me to get a makeover in the domain/subdomain forum :D
Once is enough, honey :D
I told you I'm planning a makeover :D

Conor

Reaction score
Ya something is going on and its confusing me....Sorry? :p

skfung

Reaction score
wow~that is a good idea to make a game
and hope you can do it

nicholas

Reaction score
i hope u succeed in creating card script for tarot becoz i like tarot cards alot... :)

ShadowStriker

Reaction score
yes java would also do the work. my opinion i suggest reading the book entiled: "Java A Beginner's Guide (if you are a beginner)

Herbert Schilt is the author. the authors website: www.herbschildt.com

Herbert Schildt is a very popular programming author.

ShadowStriker

Reaction score
but card scripts have been made before... just search on a couple javascript website and you should find what you are looking for. but if you want to make one you can of course...its possible...lol