cutesitebuilder uploading via it's own ftp, don't know what to fill in

Status
Not open for further replies.

texaslady

Reaction score
I'm trying to upload my website and I'm getting all kinds of errors. I need to know my ftphost address, my ftp directory, my default filename (my choices are index.htm or default.html)

I think I have the rest filled out correctly. It doesn't seem to recognize my password either

this is all filled out ahead of clicking "publish". It does the publishing itself but it can't seem to log in or do anything....

My "hosting Server" ??? is starka if that helps.
txvoices.x10hosting.com is the website

Last edited:

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
For ftp host: txvoices.x10hosting.com
for ftp directory: /
default filename: index.htm

texaslady

Reaction score
Thank you, that did the trick - and I also changed my password just in case and it's publishing now - can't wait to see it! Appreciate it!

texaslady

Reaction score
http://txvoices.x10hosting.com/ why does my site look like this? What do I delete? I tried using some ftp thingie(program) and uploaded stuff 3 different times -- now that is probably why -- is there any way to delete everything and start over? What do I do?

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
make sure that your index.htm is all lowercase. These servers use linux which is case sensitive. If your file name was in uppercase at all, the system would not be able to find your index file. Also, go log into your cPanel and see where your ftp program was uploading to your account. Everything should be in your public_html directory in your file manager.

texaslady

Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to go to another free web hosting service I can understand. it's just too complicated. I only have two choices (drop down menu) for the index.html (it's not htm) or default.html - I chose index.html. Everything is under the "home" thingie - not public_html - my Cutesitebuilder program automatically does everything so should I have put /public something instead of just a / for the directory? Should I just give up?

texaslady

Reaction score
Okay -- I deleted everything again, published the website which went to the home thingie -- I guess every time I publish I'm going to have to log in and "move" everything to the public_html folder which I had to create under the home folder ... ?? The site IS working for now -- guess until I update it -- then I'll have to repeat process...any ideas how to publish directly to the public_html folder? (remember, I have to fill in all the info before publishing as it auto-publishes it for me..so I have to know the "directory" I think...?? Sorry, it's confusing - I've never had this much trouble uploading to a host before! Apologies

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Isn't there something in the settings of the program to stop it from creating a home directory? I've searched through a knowledge base for the program you're using but I haven't found any answers yet. Is there any support site for this program that you can contact and ask why it's doing that instead of publishing directly to public_html? I'm sorry that your program is giving you trouble.

texaslady

Reaction score
Honestly, I have no idea and the program is no longer supported but I just happen to adore it (it's similar to MSWord, it's the easiest program I've tried BUT I may have to try something else that is similar --- SiteSpinner or something like that...) -- it won't create a "home" - where I put the "directory" -- I should probably put the public_html there but I don't think it'll let me publish then --it cannot connect...so - dang....I am not sure. I update the site ALL the time because there is a petition on it - so ... I'll see what happens when I update it this next time..maybe it'll "default" itself to where it needs to be, if not - I just don't know..I've never had this problem before and have used plenty of hosting companies over the 12 years I've built websites...so this is a first!

texaslady

Reaction score
Okay, this is what I did to solve the problem. First I added a small underline/underscore to the homepage just to see if I could see it if I published. Nope...couldn't see it. So, I went in and modified the "directory" to /public_html and IT WORKED. So now, every time I publish it will go directly into that folder (which is right under the HOME one--having 4 choices confuses me) - so now I'm excited. Now just to remember to log in every 2 weeks to keep it from being suspended! Do they send reminders?

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Actually the 2 week rule changed late last year. It's now required to log into these forums here every 31 days to stay active. They do indeed send reminders for inactivity. If you forget and then get suspended, all you have to do is log into these forums first, and then go log into your account panel to unsuspend yourself. You're able to unsuspend yourself for inactivity and the first two warnings of high resource usage (if they were to ever happen in the future for any reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.