dedicateds

maddude

overall phsyco
Reaction score
im buying a dedicated server later this year if cash goes well and i want to know to start off is a pentium 4 2.8gHz with a 1024mb RAM be of a delecitble speed and memory compacity or is it excuse my french s*** :chris:

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I`m not an expert on servers and that sounds fine for starters, but wouldn`t something in the 3 gig range and a bit more ram be more efficient. Maybe a processor with hyper threading or dual core technology. ??

Maurice

Reaction score
It's fine but most servers have 2GB ram though :). And the speed could be upped but it's nice if you're starting a new site.

maddude

overall phsyco
Reaction score
is 2.8 gHz pentium with 1024mb good for a small hosting site with no more than 30 accounts max. but is it gonna be relitivly ok speed or lag?

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I would imagine if you kept the accounts to a minimum it would be cool. I don`t know how many options you would be able to make available to your users ?? But like I said I`m not an expert at servers iether

maddude

overall phsyco
Reaction score
thanks dude as i said a max of 30 accounts on a 2.8gHz server with 1024MB ram so it should be normal speed and wot server was x10hostings first one/two? :fear:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
x10 is still on the celeron. I keep it just because we got a good deal on it, I think it's $79 a month with cPanel. If you're only hosting 30 accounts I'd say go with a celeron and save your money.

-Corey

maddude

overall phsyco
Reaction score
but celerons arn't good for performance and i hear are worse than pentium

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
They are not as good usually because the cache is 128 Vs say 512 for example. Honestly it doesn't take much processing power to run sites though, of course depending what is on there. But starting out I'd say get a celeron and save $100 a month.

-Corey

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Auvee said:
ademonicbaby said:
You will find more AMD people then Pentium people...
I have this bias against AMD for some reason. I refuse to buy anything non-Intel, haha

-Auvee B.
Ya same with me, I refuse to buy somthing without the Intel name lol

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I used to be the same ...Intel all the way...then I tried Amd and I liked it I had to stick with it ...I think the Amd is a slightly faster processor.(in my opinion)

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
it kinda does, i you like gmaing. amd is the way to go

other things only need a intel prosseser, or the person isn't an extreme gamer (most of the times, well without the HT it used to be)

and, a celeron is really not that bad for a server, a duel celeron would be cool, if they even made such a thing. Cheap and they are reletivly good for hosting.

maddude

overall phsyco
Reaction score
so x10 is still on celeron WOW! it (no offence) could explain why it can be slow no worrys its fine just asking and also wow $79 where do i get that with cpanel and good specs like urs?

maddude

overall phsyco
Reaction score
plus that site servermatrix.com nice site nice prices but the major draw back no paypal and i only have paypal

Richard

Reaction score
darkd45 said:
it kinda does, i you like gaming. amd is the way to go
I think AMD is the best for most jobs I find Celerons useless for heavy office work.
plus that site servermatrix.com nice site nice prices but the major draw back no paypal and i only have paypal
Have you ever heard of a debit card? They are much better then any service like paypal.