Default Web Page - How To Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennacide

Reaction score
Hiyas everyone! I just experienced this issue and I've found out how to conclusively fix it, well, at least on a Winblows *ahem* I mean Windows machine :wink:

Before you go all, 'hey that's my issue' let's make sure you know what's really going on here. First and foremost, the issue is: You have just signed up, everything is good to go and you want to look at your brand new page but when you type in your page's url and hit enter, you get a blank page with the following words in the upper left-hand corner: Default Web Page. Nothing else, just that page. No matter how much you refresh or look in the backend you cannot seem to find out what's going on, never fear, I'm about to show you :wink:

What's going on here is you're having DNS Caching issues. This can easily be remidied locally, that means YOU can fix it and you do so by following these simple steps:

NOTE: Before performing this action on a Windows Vista or above computer, please see this article by Microsoft on how to display the Run command on your start menu.

1. Click Start > Run
  2. Type "cmd" without the quotes in the run dialog box then hit Enter
  3. Once the command window appears, type the following without the quotes "ipconfig /flushdns" then hit enter. You will recieve a message stating that the machines DNS cache has been dumped
  4. type "exit" without the quotes and hit enter to close the window

Now, please kill your browser and then re-launch it. You should now be able to view your site! In the highly unlikely event that you cannot and get the same page, please take a moment to dump your browsers cache. If you're unfamiliar with how to do that, please see the following links for your browser. Also keep in mind, I'm only posting links to the 3 main browsers as you can see.

Internet Exploder: Clicky
Mozilla Firefox: Clicky
Google Chrome: Clicky

Well folks, I really hope this helps and admins, please consider making this a sticky so that other's who have this issue can easily find a solution.

Muah! Hearts, Jenna

PS: If you found this useful, please take a moment to like and or click the little star to the bottom-left of this post to show that it helped. Thanks so much! *squee* LOL

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Use alt+cmd+e to purge your cache on Safari, or click "Empty Cache..." in the Safari menu.

We also have Wiki article which explains how to purge your cache from the other OSs: http://x10hosting.com/wiki/How_do_I_Flush_my_DNS_Cache

If you still can't view your website, wait a couple hours, check through a proxy or ask us in IRC. Don't make a ticket until then :p

~Callum

EDIT: Aaaaand stickied

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.