Deleting all files in public_html to install wordpress

Status
Not open for further replies.

vintage7

Reaction score
I started messing around with wordpress and want to delete all files in public_html to install wordpress which I started liking. My question is if I backup all my files in public_html where will wordpress be installed at and will that make it my main page after I install it. Here's is the url to wordpress that I was messing around with to learn it. http://vintagetoyadvertisements.com/mcpherson/

Last edited:

vintage7

Reaction score
If I install wordpress without deleting the files to keep them live until I get the wordpress running will it still become my main page when somebody goes to my domain name?

ronturon

Reaction score
On the WordPress admin under Settings > General, there is an option for WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address. Just set your site Address to http://vintagetoyadvertisements.com and WordPress will take care of the rest. No deleting or moving of files at all.

vintage7

Reaction score
On the WordPress admin under Settings > General, there is an option for WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address. Just set your site Address to http://vintagetoyadvertisements.com and WordPress will take care of the rest. No deleting or moving of files at all.
That option wasn't here cause I setup wp as a multi network so I had to go into the network setup which it looked like I can change it by adding to wp-config.php and .htaccess I didn't want to add the wp that I was learning on to become my main page, I wanted to add a fresh install and I didn't want to install it in the public_html with all the other files still in there so what I did was change the directory name(public_html) by just adding a few numbers to it and I created a new directory name public_html and install wp.

As I'm working on the new one until I'm happy with it to go live for good, I just change the directories names so the old site is still working when I'm not working on the new one so my visitors can look at the ads. Thanks for the reply it helped me figure it out.trains.jpg

ronturon

Reaction score
Yes, that could work also but a little more setting up. By the way, your site is great. Almost scrapped my whole redesign I am working on to make it look like your ads. Well, almost. Good luck with the site.

vintage7

Reaction score
Yes, that could work also but a little more setting up. By the way, your site is great. Almost scrapped my whole redesign I am working on to make it look like your ads. Well, almost. Good luck with the site.
Thanks it's been working out for me. I've been putting the new one together as fast as I can and learning new things as I go along. The reason I started using wordpress cause it makes it mobile friendly which google announced it.Good luck with your site. Post your site so I can look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.