Desktop Lock Program

espfutbol98

Reaction score
I was wondering how hard it would be to write a program to simply lock the desktop, set the background to blue, and have a textbox with an image and a password input. I have no clue which language to use: .Net, C++, C#, VB, or Java but what I do know it I know nothing about these languages. I've used freeware programs like these but I'd rather have my own. I also don't have any experience writing desktop applications but I do have Visual Studio 2010. Any sugestions/help or is this way too complicated for me to do?

dquigley

Reaction score
I think there are already some programs that do this or something similar, it might be worth a shot to research them. Good luck! :D

espfutbol98

Reaction score
I've looked through a lot of similar programs but they don't really do what I want. I wondering of it would be possible to make a locking program with a pop-up box with an image and textbox.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
As is often the case, it's not a matter of language but platform and frameworks (.Net is a framework, not a language). Java's platform, the JVM, isn't suitable because it's (intentionally) too separated from the host machine (there are ways of loading native platform libraries, but that goes against the spirit of Java). As for C++ vs. C# vs VB, it shouldn't matter because each should have bindings for the necessary system calls.

You should be able to find tutorials and code samples (try CodeProject) that cover what you want to do. One (older) approach is to use a frameless, full-screen window and ignore keystrokes/system commands that would make the app lose focus by (e.g) setting a system flag which indicates a screen saver is running. I'm not certain what the modern approach would be, but there should be a tutorial or blog entry somewhere that covers it. The real trick is preventing ctrl-alt-del from interfering. You could also write a screensaver and let Windows handle the password authentication.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Okay I found a good source project at http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/LockWorkStation.aspx but I still have no clue how to change the embedded textbox into a floating window with an image and textbox.
Simplest solution is to use a dialog box. Alternatively, try creating a multi-document app.

I also don't know how to turn a project into an .exe in Visual Studio.
The process of turning source code into executables is "compiling", so a Google search for "visual studio" how to compile should turn up information about the build process.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible...
BECAUSE: The CTRL+ALT+DEL key combo is 'locked' to ... winlogon I believe, as soon as Windows starts. This is why they call it the 'secure desktop'. If you created an app to go fullscreen and provide a login form, you could bypass it.

Unless you're trying to create something to run on a PC and harvest usernames and passwords, that looks just like the Windows box...

espfutbol98

Reaction score
I don't think it's possible...
BECAUSE: The CTRL+ALT+DEL key combo is 'locked' to ... winlogon I believe, as soon as Windows starts.
It actually is possible in at least 2 different ways: there is a regestry key you can edit to disable the task manager (temporarily of course) and also you can open the task manager but have it go just behind the locking program window.