Desktops vs Laptops: Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

• Desktop

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Laptop

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

xPlozion

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm working on fixing a laptop up for my sisters friend, and I got to thinking. All of the computers in our house are all desktops, but my sisters and other people I know primarily have laptops. I know the ups and downs of both, but I'm curious as to what you guys prefer to use.

Dan

Reaction score
I personally prefer to use a laptop as I like to be able to take it and just sit down with it anywhere which I can't do with a Desktop.
I also don't do a lot of very big tasks therefore I don't need a massive powerful desktop and I can simply get quite a powerful laptop for my needs.

I would say it totally depends on what you'd be doing on it, you wouldn't exactly be running a server on a laptop... But then some people prefer just sitting behind a normal screen with a normal keyboard and that's fair enough.

allinone

Reaction score
it always depend on the requirements.... if you have a still kind of job then desktop and if you always kepe on moving then laptop.....

but desktop have several advantages over laptops..
easily customizable, cheap accessories , great configurations, great peripherals and all

scorch94

Reaction score
Laptops for me. I don't need powerful machine either and I like portability of laptops, hence I love them. :)
But yeah, it's got its disadvantages.

Sohail

Reaction score
This thread comes up quite a lot, they both the their advantages the biggest thing for laptops is that they're portable, desktops on the other hand however are usually for power which is especially good if you're a web designer like me or a movie editor.

neverlate2day

Reaction score
i simply feel laptops are a waste of money unless you travel
i mean nowadays everyone has a laptop(or more than 1), just borrow one while travelling

You can get a desktop of the same config or almost half the price(if u assemble it, i'm not talking about those bought from OEMs)

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
There are computers everywhere I go, so purchasing a laptop isn't necessary for me. I like having a powerful beastly desktop at my place of residence. I have all my docs uploaded to email services so I can pull them from any computer away from home

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I like desktops better because they are more customizable, you can hardly build a laptop. You can upgrade it's parts at your leisure and they are generally more powerful, more exposed to air so it will not overheat and there is always that chance with laptops that their battery will explode or catch fire. Of course, I would have one also for portability, mostly for school work on the go.

Last edited:

Jon.Monreal

Reaction score
there is always that chance with laptops that their battery will explode or catch fire

That happened with a limited number of laptops with specific batteries from specific manufacturers, and is not a common risk. People generally need not worry about such a thing.

Anyways, I prefer laptops over desktops most of the time because I am always on the go and need mobility.

However, I do have a desktop in case I need more computing power.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
I don't need to take my computer anywhere because I never go anywhere. I voted desktop.

Dazz

Reaction score
I really have no preference when it comes to actual use, I have a desktop but I use my friends laptops as well.

But when it comes to pure computing pleasure then desktop all the way, I built my own and I love it to pieces (sad? maybe :biggrin:)

Last edited:

balaji2u

Reaction score
it depends on the field of work. for a computer professional laptop is like a hat in summer . a desktop is a umbrella in rain which is a must lol . . if we were on any other field we need computer as like assistant so laptop is preferable if portability is must . .

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I would rather have a MAC instead if a PC like a iMac or a Mac Pro.

vmadarasz

Reaction score
Doing the big jobs on a desktop, but if I need to bring some power&stuffs with myself (as a presentation or something, but definetly not Working Hard on it) then a laptop with max an 15'' screen to be easy to carry....

RossSchVle

Banned
Reaction score
Personally I like a laptop for any thing general, but I prefer a desktop for playing more 'heavy duty' games and for using programs like dreamweaver.

fempower

Reaction score
I prefer desktops because they can have more powerful components (Laptops woth powerful components tend to have limited upgrade options and short battery life). I also don't have to move anywhere so it's OK for me. Also, I don't really want to mess with wireless and possibly having someone come along and mooch.

xmakina

Reaction score
I prefer a desktop in nearly every context except travelling. Even then the only real place to use a laptop is on the train, with a plug and table.

A desktop can pack much more powerful hardware, they're easier to repair/mod/upgrade and they can take a lot more usage than a laptop.

Also, I've never had my knees burnt by a desktop!

Last edited:

cursedpsp

Reaction score
im 15 and im getting a laptop for christmas.

Mainly for my corsework...
I have a desktop but i just cant be asked now to sit on a chair and slouch over a keyboard.
Im getting a 4gb RAM, 3.25 GHz Processor, 250GB HDD laptop and it only costed me £680. And i can use it on a sofa or on my bed :D

wolfy67

Reaction score
I'd be lost without my laptop. The convenience of carrying it around and being able to check my email/surf anywhere there's wireless, do all the paperwork and forms at work, and later that same day share photos and video with friends.

That being said I still prefer working on the desktop. It's much more powerful and since I primarily play games on it, it's my favorite.