Is DRM good or bad?

• Yes

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters

Cubeform

Reaction score
Starting a couple of weeks ago, some guy released a program called FairUse4WM, that cracked the Windows Media DRM. Then, QTFairUse6 was released, which cracked the iTunes DRM.

Although Microsoft and Apple attempted to patch these programs, the respective authors came out with new versions that worked again.

If you don't know what DRM stands for, it's called "Digital Rights Management", which attempts to stop copying of music, even for fair use.

This brings us to the subject of this thread: Is digital rights management good or bad? And Why? Is it even needed?

Last edited:

Chris Z

Reaction score
i think it's obviously good for all the artists, but obviously it sucks for the end user, as they can't have it on multiple sources or w/e, so i voted NO

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
I agree with billybob...
It sucks for users :(
I voted for NO

ƒorte

Reaction score
lol I'm thinking the same thing Bryon's thinking..

I had no idea that "Is DRM good or bad?" is a yes or no question..

Is it good or bad?

yes.. it's good or bad..

no.. it's good or bad..

wtf?

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Hah yeah you should change the poll title to say "Is DRM good?" since everyone has voted "No" so far.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I'm the minority - I voted yes.

It's a pain for many things, but I do believe it's needed when it comes to music and games in particular.

Music: Yea it's all fine and good that you're breaking the DRM, until, you know, your favorite band go belly up cause they can't friggin' afford to make their music anymore. I personally _like_ my favorite bands, so I don't go stealing their music (exceptions: one of their cd's I can't get mp3's off of, so I went and downloaded it in addition to purchasing it).

Same goes for games. Yea people can break it, but someone's gotta actually pay for it. Would red Octaine and Harmonix be releasing a Guitar Hero 2 if everyone just pirated one persons copy? Would Westwood Studios (C&C series) still be in business if everyone jacked the first copy of c&c? Would Microsoft even have a gaming division if people kept downloading theirs?

I'll agree it's a pain in the ass at times, but look at it this way: DRM does help keep fresh games rolling in one way, and it pisses off the guys trying to steal it.

Oh, and for the record, people have tried to change my views on this for a while. I'm standing firm. I seriously doubt games would be in existence without DRM (there may always be a core group who'll buy the games, but if the group ain't large enough to warrant the creation of a new game, then the game doesn't get created).

Edit: I'm actually all for putting in another option, 'sometimes.' Then I'd just be angry that I can't change my vote to sometimes, cause there are times drm isn't worth it - like when it won't work on most available hardware, or is so agressive in it's anti-drm-breaking tactics (StarForce comes to mind) that it renders the game useless just because you have a certain program installed (2 games so far, protected with starforce3, I can't run because I put Daemon Tools v4 on my pc, regardless of if it's running or not).

Last edited:

vitaorsa

Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree with Livewire on this one.

Why would a company create a game if it isn't going to make a profit? Companies need to create a feasible and sustainable market if they are going to keep operating.

As for people saying that they will create games anyway, well that’s just stupid thinking.. Ok so people may still create games but we will be back in the Pac Man era (nothing against Pac Man), money gives companies the ability to explore and research new technologies.

As for the DRM well it can be annoying but so far its the only way companies have some control over their copyright material. Would you go to work knowing that you are never going to get paid?

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
How are you guys able to vote yes or no to a question asking if it's good or bad? I don't get it?

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
well no matter how much the artist and producer company protect their songs their product with DRM, it is still no foolproof.

I voted no, because DRM still fail to protect its songs. DRM itself is not a though protection, look at those emulator. They can clone mutliple times without bothering the protection.

Therefore I would say DRM should improved more or user should at least spend a little more for original products so that both producer and artist feel the worthwhile to sing and play.

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
Bryon said:
How are you guys able to vote yes or no to a question asking if it's good or bad? I don't get it?
We answer to the question as if it was "Is DRM good?" Yes or no...

the mind

Reaction score
Is DRM good or bad? Your answer choice: Yes or No. That makes absolutely NO sense.

I voted NO...thats bad, right? Oh well...I voted NO, because I believe in LimeWire!

waster

Reaction score
it's not good for me these day... but someday it would be good

i voted YES.. mean good.. but not these days... after a few years not now... then it would be good

Last edited:

Joker Boy

Reaction score
haha hes right. That does make absolutely no sense. They ask you good or bad and give you 2 completely different choices. thats kinda..
nuts.gif