directing to x10 subdomains and <title> and <meta ..> tags.

robray

Reaction score
hi there,

I recently devised a title and meta tags for the my pages of my site.

when i hit these pages directly, using the full x10 subdomain, i find that the words between the <title> tags correctly display in the browser tab (just as i expect).
eg: http://blarblarblar.x10hosting.com

However, i have a URL (www.my_url.com) which points to this subdomain.
When i access my webpages via www.my_url.com
the title does not appear, and the meta tags are absent.

Viewing the source i notice these tags:

<html>
<head>
<title></title>

<meta name='keywords' content='' />
<meta name='description' content='' />

<meta name='robots' content='index,follow' />

</head>
<frameset rows='100%,*' border='0' frameborder='0' framespacing='0'>

<frame src='http://blarblarblar.x10hosting.com'
What i would like to know is, is there a way i can edit these x10 generated tags (above), so that they are consistent with the tags in my real web pages.

This is important to me because, i've just spent time devising meta tags
so that the search engine bots can find the title, the description and keywords information. It would also be nice to have the title appearing in the browser tab.

If anyone knows how to edit the tags above, i will be very grateful.

Best wishes... have a nice day :)

Rob.

pg.security

Reaction score
hi there,

I recently devised a title and meta tags for the my pages of my site.

when i hit these pages directly, using the full x10 subdomain, i find that the words between the <title> tags correctly display in the browser tab (just as i expect).
eg: http://blarblarblar.x10hosting.com

However, i have a URL (www.my_url.com) which points to this subdomain.
When i access my webpages via www.my_url.com
the title does not appear, and the meta tags are absent.

Viewing the source i notice these tags:

<html>
<head>
<title></title>

<meta name='keywords' content='' />
<meta name='description' content='' />

<meta name='robots' content='index,follow' />

</head>
<frameset rows='100%,*' border='0' frameborder='0' framespacing='0'>

<frame src='http://blarblarblar.x10hosting.com'
What i would like to know is, is there a way i can edit these x10 generated tags (above), so that they are consistent with the tags in my real web pages.

This is important to me because, i've just spent time devising meta tags
so that the search engine bots can find the title, the description and keywords information. It would also be nice to have the title appearing in the browser tab.

If anyone knows how to edit the tags above, i will be very grateful.

Best wishes... have a nice day :)

Rob.
1st what host are you using to redirect my site.com to your x10 domain, if its a different web host then try making a new page on your x10 account and redirecting (my site.com) to that page then redirect that page to your homage with this script
<script type="text/javascript">
window.location.href="http;//www.my site.com/";
</script>

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
What are the actual URLs involved? No point in making up examples. Also, it's difficult to help without being able to see what's going on for ourselves.

As for the HTML source, X10 doesn't generate any. Are you using an X10 provided sitebuilder? If not, are you using a prepackaged CMS? How is the title tag generated? If you're using a custom script, we'll probably need to see source code to figure out what's going on.

How did you point the one domain towards the other? For example, are you using an add-on or parked domain?

Search engines don't put any stock in the "keyword" meta tag anymore.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Simple.
It is not a "redirect". It is a frameset. Like an envelope. People who click on the link get the envelope metatags and title, but see the content of the letter (x10hosting site)
The metatags and title are generated by your other service, not x10hosting.
You either have to work with the other service or add the domain as a parked domain to your x10hosting accoutn.

robray

Reaction score
Simple.
It is not a "redirect". It is a frameset. Like an envelope. People who click on the link get the envelope metatags and title, but see the content of the letter (x10hosting site)
The metatags and title are generated by your other service, not x10hosting.
You either have to work with the other service or add the domain as a parked domain to your x10hosting accoutn.

Descalzo is spot on!
100% correct.

the 'other service'.. the domain registration company, has a wizzard for populating this frameset. It allows me to populate the site title (one title for every page of my site - not ideal, might be nice to have a title of 'domain - order' or 'domain - contact us' or 'domain - home' etc) and also to populate the META tags. But it doesn't allow me to set the tags for the favicon. So the time and trouble i spent designing an impossibly small icon is wasted if i continue to use their frameset.

But i've learned something here.
(a) i like the way a frameset will allow me to hide:
http://some.uglylooking.webhost.address.com with
www.sexy-domain-name.com
(b) in searching for an alternative solution to this issue.. i found out a lot of interesting stuff about php redirection and header variables manipulation.
(c) next time, i will know to look carefully at what a domain name registration
company is actually offering.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my posts and write a response.

Best wishes

Rob.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, you can "park" the domain at x10hosting so that it points to exactly (no frameset or redirects) the same content as robraypublishing.x10hosting.com

robray

Reaction score
Well, you can "park" the domain at x10hosting so that it points to exactly (no frameset or redirects) the same content as robraypublishing.x10hosting.com

Odd, but that's exactly what i've popped in to ask about.
Well anticipated.

I figured if i move the domain name to here, then i can have my cake and eat it.
I can keep a 'clean' looking www.domain.com in the address bar (and maybe use .htaccess to remove the page name suffixes after "domain.com". I can have different <title> and META tags on each page (should i choose to), .. and...i can keep my favicon.

However, i have never moved a parked domain from one place to another. So i hoped to pick the brains of those that have done this before... or those that knows how this works. So, i have some simple questions:
(a) Do i need to tell both ends of the move about the move. Do i need to tell 'Acme Domain Registration' and 'x10' that the domain is being moved ?
(b) will there be a charge for doing the move (at one end? At both ends?)
(c) Are there any pitfalls i should be aware of ?
(d) how is the move actually effected ?

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes.. and have a nice day.

Rob. :)