Disassociate Railgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caftpx10

Reaction score
Not too long ago, Cloudflare changed the plans for Railgun so that it's only available for business and enterprise. I only have pro. From that point forwards, I cannot toggle railgun nor test it.
For my other site (different host), after re-adding (as it had a different IP), Railgun messed up so badly that it would max out the I/O which would sometimes cause Railgun to timeout (happened around 5 times), blank pages, long loading times, connection timeouts in general (only happened once from a few days ago to now).

It was found that my previous hosting provider currently has my domain associated with Railgun, so I've sent an email a few minutes ago (to their sales email as their support form doesn't seem to work without the actual domain being associated with the account, along with proof of ownership of the account) requesting for them to disassociate it. If they do then everything should come back to normal.

Anyway, I would like to disassociate my domain (the TLD add-on domain) from Railgun on X10Hosting so that this doesn't affect my site here, as the resource limit is more stricter (of course it has to be like that due to many sites being under each server) and therefore is too much of a risk to take. Plus, I shouldn't really have Railgun turned on as I'm only using the pro and free plan.

caftpx10

Reaction score
Just a little bump. Not desperate for this one but it's to make sure no serious issues occur in the near future.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We can disassociate it if you'd like, however, because we are an optimized partner of CloudFlare and run our own Railgun instances we're able to choose who to offer it to whether they're on a free or paid plan with CF. Even though we haven't publicly announced the availability of Railgun (yet) we've enabled access to it for all of our services including free hosting. So you can use it at no charge as long as your domain is pointing to our IP space.

Railgun should also not increase resource usage for your account, if anything it should lower it. How did you end up having a resource issue with Railgun enabled?

caftpx10

Reaction score
On my other domain (using GoDaddy), I've changed to a cPanel plan (from the old hosting plan that uses GD's own control panel).
I had to re-add the site to Cloudflare as it used different IPs (there was so many records to change and add), which was a big mistake as that was when the CPU would have a sudden increase at one point to 60/100% (of 20%) which was very concerning and the I/O would be highly affected (as I've said already), causing the sites under my account to slow down, blank pages would appear at times, connection refusals (happened to me once so far for around 30 seconds), connection time outs (CF error or general browser error [happened once]), anything that would prevent the resources from going over the limit, really.
The previous web host who currently has the domain associated with their railgun service is a CloudFlare partner. It looks like railgun would work at times, though I haven't checked this in with the CF staff.

When I've got the 'origin is unreachable' error (523), it was found to be caused by railgun according to this:
"wan_error": "direct request failed: dial tcp 107.180.2.163:80: connection timed out" (Should I really be putting a shared hosting IP out?)

I can't tell if the previous web host does the free-or-not-free-you-still-have-railgun thing or not because the site would work smoothly for a few minutes before that comes along.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
That error means there is an issue with their Railgun server or shared server, your account is definitely not responsible for it.

How it works in the partner program with Railgun is you run your own Railgun server that goes out and caches the information then distributes it to all of CloudFlare's Railgun servers. The error you posted is saying that there is an issue with the Railgun server requesting information from the shared server. We haven't had any issues with Railgun here... we even use it on the forums and our main website.

I can still remove your domain if you'd like.

caftpx10

Reaction score
Looks like I might as well keep it. Thanks for that information, I really appreciate it.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. If you change your mind just let us know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.