DNS, FTP and cPanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Since the server updates yesterday I have been having issues with some of the services on the Lotus server. I have held off posting about this as I know updates have been going on, but now that the status page says that the lotus updates are complete and the problems are still persisting.

Firstly, my addon domain (flight-plan-database.tk) is directing to a cPanel configuration error page, yet it was working fine yesterday. It seems to me that the DNS record is directing to an IP that is not that of the lotus server; is it possible that the record is still directing to the IP of the older server? Using a traceroute I can see that the DNS records IP and the IP of lotus appear to be within the same range and also appear to be in the same location. I have tried flushing my DNS cache as the page suggests and I have cleared a few other caches for good measure, but none made any difference.
I have checked with the .tk service and both of X10's name-servers are definitely registered, so there doesn't seem to be an error at that end. I have also checked through a variety of proxies and this issue appears to be prevalent to all users accessing the domain.
Frustratingly, attempts to access the directory (lemon.x10hosting.com/fpd) that the domain links to directly throws a 403 error, despite having permissions of 755. This leads me to believe that this could actually be an issue with directory permissions on the folder, which is subsequently causing the cPanel error page. The curious thing is that I haven't modified the permissions of that folder in ages, yet the problem has only just arisen.

Secondly, I am getting a consistent authentication error when trying to use FTP. The FTP server is responding and the user name is accepted, however, the password is denied every time. I have tried changing my passwords, but that did not help. Inability to access FTP is slowing down my attempts to check the possible permission errors above.

Finally, similar to the issue above I cannot log into cPanel either at lemon.x10hosting.com:2082/ nor http://flight-plan-database.tk:2082/ . Curiously though, I can access my account through lotus.x10hosting.com:2082/ . Also very odd is the fact that http://flight-plan-database.tk:2082/ is seems to be loading fine, despite the domain itself having issues: which seems to be further evidence that this could a permissions problem, not a DNS issue.

I hope these issues can be resolved quickly,
Lemon

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I have a few updates to add to this now. As of now none of these issues have been resolved, but I have noticed some more oddities.
1. Despite being able to access cPanel on the lotus.x10hosting.com domain, any changes I make are not reflected in my website. e.g. I tried modifying my homepage in file manager to say 'Projects' instead of 'Current Projects' but the changes are not shown. It appears to me that I am logging into the old server that is no longer the active one.
2. In the account panel I appear to be on the server 'lotusnew', which further backs up my assumptions above.
Screen shot 2010-03-20 at 17.13.53.png
However, attempts to access cPanel at 'http://lotusnew.x10hosting.com:2082/' return a server now responding page.

All in all it appears that my account has somehow been split across both servers, with each pointing at resources on each other. What worries me is that the old server is clearly going to be erased at some point and I would hate to have to try to reset everything.
As a precaution I am making backups of everything I can, but I really hope I don't have to use them.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
The server moves and upgrades are still going on. None of the updates say anything about it being done yet. What has been completed and repaired are recent MySQL issues on all servers. That was all. There are still tons of upgrades still going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.