Do I allow to install CMS like WebGUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, administrators.
I have questions regarding the isntallation of CMS.

1) What do I need to know about the requirements of installing a CMS in your web server? What requirements do you have on the CMS?
blushing.gif

2)
Personally, I would like to install WebGUI to your web server.
However when I go to http://www.plainblack.com/webgui/faq, I see such a message:
Can I use WebGUI on my $5.95 hoster?
Probably not. WebGUI is designed to be an enterprise application. Therefore it is usually installed to be the only thing running on a server. Also, it is almost impossible to install WebGUI with only FTP access, which is all that is typically provided by discount hosting companies.

3)
If it is impossible to install this one. How about any of the following CMS:
TYPO3
eZ publish
Xaraya
PostNuke
Drupal
Sitellite CMS
Mambo
Tiki CMS/Groupware
GuppY

Thanks for your answer! :grin:

Richard

Reaction score
Well you won't be able to use WebGUI because it needs mod_perl which isn't installed on the server. However all of the other systems you have listed will run with out a problem and some of them are in the Fantasico auto installer (accessed via cpanel)

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Richard said:
Well you won't be able to use WebGUI because it needs mod_perl which isn't installed on the server. However all of the other systems you have listed will run with out a problem and some of them are in the Fantasico auto installer (accessed via cpanel)

Would you mind telling me how I can detemrine if a CMS can be installed in your web server?

Are these the ONLY requirements?
- support PHP only, or it supports multiple languages which PHP is one of them
- support MySQL, or supports multiple databases which MySQL is one of them
- how about web server? Must it be Appache?
- anything else?

As to Fantasico, I know some CMS like Mambo are installed. But some of them are a bit outdated. Is it okay if I install one manually by myself (witohut using Fantasico)?

PS: The above questions may sounds silly since I don't know much about CMS.
Sorry for my ignornace if I ask a stupid question.

Status
Not open for further replies.