Do I need to have that "By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies" message on my site

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrepai5

Reaction score
I have a small computer repairs business and a free x10 hosting website. Do I have to display that message which I see on other websites saying something like: "By using this site, you agree we can set and use cookies" or words to that effect by law?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
*Minor edit to that, also depends on the law in the US and Illinois because of where the server is located (it's also why you wouldn't be able to host an online gambling site, which people did try before). Unfortunately I'm not actually familiar enough with the law to know if that's required for a personal site, just businesses, or just businesses that make over $xyzzy per year.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Depends on what the law in the area you live in requires you to do.
The laws apply across the EU (European Union) - although they are implemented differently in each country - all businesses in the EU therefore need to comply with the regulations - and are bound by regulations in their own country.

However - in theory at least - any business anywhere that has a website that allows visitors from any EU country - is required to comply with the legislation with respect to the country of those EU visitors

So a website in the US with EU visitors ought to be asking for consent from those visitors - to put 'cookie' files on their computers

IMO if you do not comply with the regulations - you need to block from your website - ALL visitors from the EU

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
So a website in the US with EU visitors ought to be asking for consent from those visitors - to put 'cookie' files on their computers

IMO if you do not comply with the regulations - you need to block from your website - ALL visitors from the EU
Woah...hold your horses mister!! The last statement is a bit extreme!

The first one - "ought to be" - good choice of words, as the law in EU countries is of course separate to US law.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
...as the law in EU countries is of course separate to US law
true - BUT when you put files ( i.e. cookies) on a visitor's computer you are subject to the the laws about putting files on that computer of that visitor country

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Not strictly true. If you are targeting a EU member state visitor then you are bound by the laws/regulations of that state in this instance. But whether it's enforceable even if applicable is a whole other matter. Not even all UK government sites are in compliance, for example.

If a user specifies he does not want any cookies saved? Well that's easy, you set a cooki...oh.

It's a silly law blown way out of proportion.

This will be an interesting read for you: http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free-legal-articles/eu-cookie-law-regulations.html - if you read it, remember that the ICO is the information commissioner's office, who is responsible for enforcing this and some other laws like the data protection act in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.