Do you hate Microsoft?

CuteKate400

Reaction score
I don't really mind Microsoft, after all they are not too bad. It's just that they are quite expensive on their products.
Also I don't really like the fact that many people on the web hate Microsoft but love Xbox360 and say its the best next gen console, while hating Microsoft. lol

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I'm sort of in the middle on this one. On one hand I respect Bill Gates because he has done a lot, including setting up his own charity. But on the other Microsoft is not the friendliest company, they have been known to try and stamp out competitors. Their software is also not the safest, or stablest (Look at Vista). Then there is the price of their software (They charge a lot for their bugs), and the fact that they almost force you to upgrade to the latest version, which isn't normally free.

I do use Microsoft software, mainly because there is no alternative (e.g. at school), or because the alternatives don't support something, like a game or some hardware.

I think Microsoft should reduce the price of their products, and let more of their rivals have a chance at getting a share of the computer market.

Note: These are my views, I don't mean to offend anyone, and I may have made up some of what I've said (Not that I did on purpose). :p

networker

Reaction score
I don't hate anybody or anything but what I don't like is that microsoft
is way overpriced,selling software that they puposely,needle$$ly make redundant.That they purposely make to fall apart with updates.
They're also very close to being a monopoly.That's what I don't like.

zapperpost

Reaction score
I don't actually hate Microsoft, but I hate what they give out:
OneCare -- Worst Internet Security
Office Frontpage 2003 -- This is okay, but not worth it. There should be a better WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) viewer
Office 2007 -- It's super slow
Customer Support -- One free use only. None for OEM builders or developers (like me)
Error Reporting -- From AnswersThatWork, about 1,000,000 people per year click on "Send Error Report" and they all have no purpose. Imagine working at Microsoft reading a WHOLE BUNCH of error reports per day, and most of them are the same.
Windows Vista -- Designed only for the ultramodern computers
Windows XP SP3 -- Made to make Windows XP more like Windows Vista. You can do it better here, with Vista Transformation Pack
Windows Media Player 11 -- It doesn't come with codecs!?!?!?

Is that enough?;)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
WMP11 has to come with CODECs. How else are you supposed to play your MP3s, WMV files, WAV files and WMA files with?

D

dWhite

Windows Media Player 11 does come with codecs, however it lacks ALOT of codecs that are needed for video files. Along with WMP11, I use DivX and VLC with the AC3filter, so this way I get alot of the codecs I need to watch movies on my laptop.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I do agree about it lacking Codecs. One thing I wish they would at least integrate in WMP11 is a DivX codec so I don't have to have VideoLAN installed or have to install it manually into WMP. After all, DivX is becoming very, very popular, especially when Stage6, which is closed down now started to adapt it for their streaming service. DivX is what made Stage6 extremely popular in such little time.

Last edited:
D

dWhite

Outside of the DivX codec, Microsoft should go ahead and try to get the people who write the AC3filter codecs to let MS bundle the installation into the WMP installation.

This way the user gets the AC3filter codecs, which is basically a MUST-HAVE codec for watching movies in WMP.

megaman4278

Reaction score
Me, I just don't like Microsoft's way of capitalizing other people. Look at WGA, they're just using it to reap in more profits, which by the way is unsuccessful IMO because some find ways to circumvent it. They don't give easier/cheaper alternatives to many people that's why they resort to that, and hence, MS resorts to "evil" methods like these.

port5900

Reaction score
alot of people are saying they dont hate MS but their software is over priced. I really dont see it..that might just be me. MS has a version of Vista for home users at $100
here
now if you need more stuff you got to pay. Thats how every thing in the world works.

winlux

Reaction score
Some governments have tried to sue them for "anti-competitive" behaviour, because they bundle IE with the operating system, and IIRC they have even been fined successfully in Europe. They should be free to
release their software however they choose. Preventing them from doing so is what is truly anti-competitive.

On the other hand, they also use the legal system to their advantage. They frequently make threats to open source software companies about patent violations. I disagree with the entire concept of intellectual property, particularly when it comes to software, so I view these actions negatively.

I actually found it funny that they lost their case in the E.U. It was all because of media player there, and if I'm not mistaken it was Realplayer developers complaining only because their product didn't sell. But the thing is that something like winamp manages to get many downloads and is more popular than realplayer anyway, but you don't see them complaining. It's all just bureaucracy.

I really do agree about the software patents. People survived years without it, what's next? The thing is that even if the code is different but the basic functionality is the same then it's an infringement. So that means if someone has crap code and I optimize it, I'm wrong even though tons of people can benefit. Why don't we all just go and copyright words as well.

So from now on if you say F**K you own me royalties. Just like people would tell me to really go F**k myself, people should do the same with this type of crap.

No I do not hate microsoft though, I don't like all their products as much as open source alternative, but I have tremendous respect for Bill Gates. He worked hard to get the company where it is today and he helps out a lot with charities as well.

like2program

Reaction score
Proprietary, bloated, constantly needing servicing, complex, easily infectable, not easily restorable, costs way too much, different versions with the best the only real OS, and bill gates is a nerd.

feel free to quote me!

tektrnica

Reaction score
Proprietary, bloated, constantly needing servicing, complex, easily infectable, not easily restorable, costs way too much, different versions with the best the only real OS, and bill gates is a nerd.

feel free to quote me!

Quoted... except for the fact that i respect Bill Gates for his charity work, he does give a lot of money to charity. so for that i respect him, for giving us M$ Windows, i hate him, but hey, if he didnt do that, he wouldnt have to money to give away, so meh.. whatever. lol

hopper

Reaction score
i hate microsoft because their products force you to do it the microsoft way, it takes third party software and sometimes 'hacking' and unsupported tricks to customize xp and do it your way and even then its often glitchy