Do you think everybody should get a static ip?

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I am wondering why they don't provide a static ip for everybody. If everybody get static ip it would be easier to stop abusers and spammers to enter our site. Proxy should also be banned everywhere.

I have a chat room and it's getting very hard for me to keep abusers and spammers away. When I ban people they reconnect and get a new ip. I can ban their computer but they use private browsing of firefox or some other software.

To stop them I have to ban the complete ip range. I am currently blocking most of the ISP of India and Pakistan and that's all because of a single person.

Why don't they provide static ip? Is it stop us from making a server?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I am wondering why they don't provide a static ip for everybody.

I'm not 100% sure of the interworkings of an ISP, but conceptually, it's easier to have an open pool of IP addresses available than to constantly be updating a list of static IP address for people that are moving locations, upgrading hardware, adding and removing IP addresses to their assigned block, etc. Someone has to pay for that extra management, and for a lot of people, paying the $5-10 a month extra for a feature that has no use to them won't fly well.

If everybody get static ip it would be easier to stop abusers and spammers to enter our site.

Initially, yes it would probably reduce the amount of abuse. But there's always a way around showing your real IP address. It's just a matter of time before everyone knows how to do it anyway.

Proxy should also be banned everywhere.

Proxies have a number of legitimate uses. It's not always a good idea to give away a direct path to your computer. If you were doing something embarrassing but not necessarily illegal and the website you were on got hacked and a list of IPs were published, anyone that knows your IP would see you're on that list.

I have a chat room and it's getting very hard for me to keep abusers and spammers away. When I ban people they reconnect and get a new ip. I can ban their computer but they use private browsing of firefox or some other software.

To stop them I have to ban the complete ip range. I am currently blocking most of the ISP of India and Pakistan and that's all because of a single person.

Relying on an IP for blocking abusive users isn't reliable. If you had a sign-up system with additional filters, you could stop this abuse. Using the Facebook or Google API, you can require your users to have a valid Facebook or Google account before accessing your chat room. These multi-billion dollar companies have excellent technology to prevent abuse of their servers, so you will inherit that. It's not perfect, but it's discouraging to abusers if they have to go through a ton of extra steps just to troll you.

Why don't they provide static ip? Is it stop us from making a server?

Services like DynDNS.org allow you to run a server with a domain name if you have a dynamic IP. You can run servers off of your own IP address anyway, it's just a little harder for people to access your site if your IP is constantly changing.

Maybe with IPv6 a more static system will be created, but the internet is really too complex to be fully static.

Darkmere

Reaction score
Doesnt most ISPs provide single Static IPs ... My IP hasnt changed in 11 years, most IPs I run have set billing addresses even private home owners. I rarely ever come across peeps with dynamic IPs ... although most the people I had to trace were not the brightest.

do.marmor46

Prime Account
Reaction score
Doesnt most ISPs provide single Static IPs ... My IP hasnt changed in 11 years, most IPs I run have set billing addresses even private home owners. I rarely ever come across peeps with dynamic IPs ... although most the people I had to trace were not the brightest.

mine seems to change about every 6 month or when i restart the modem

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score

It's not that way for most ISPs I've encountered. I know Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon all reassign IP addresses after your modem releases its connection, which is a very big chunk of American internet users. It may be the regional provider in your area has a different policy (or just includes the fee for maintaining a static IP in their pricing, probably for their own internal reasons).

Veelox

Reaction score
I would much prefer to have a static ip address as to a dynamic ip address.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
A more effective way to block individuals is "hellbanning". Essentially, it means letting the user post, but hiding those postings from everybody except the offending user. The troll continues to troll away for a while, but seems to be ignored by everybody. Often it takes them a very long time to figure it out, if they ever do at all -- just as often, they assume that nobody's rising to the bait anymore.

Of course, this is only an option if the user is already prevented from uploading material that is, in and of itself, illegal (or against the ToS of your provider).

Darkmere

Reaction score
It's not that way for most ISPs I've encountered. I know Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon all reassign IP addresses after your modem releases its connection, which is a very big chunk of American internet users. It may be the regional provider in your area has a different policy (or just includes the fee for maintaining a static IP in their pricing, probably for their own internal reasons).

I wonder how our software works ... in Forensics we have a software package that is used by the US gov and interpol, and this software off of an IP address will return a billing address, ISP, ISP address, and name of the person who owns the account. I wonder if it Queries a database or something

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Now some dont work but the ones that dont work it gives us other info like ... it will say it is coming from a mobile device ISP provider or it will just list the ISP servicer

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't mind having a Static IP address. I used to hold IP addresses from Verizon for months at a time. FiOS users I know seem to have Static IPs since it takes a few hours for their IPs to release, unlike DSL users such as I who can get a new IP just by disconnecting and reconnecting the PPPoE connection. A few people I know who have FiOS have had the same IP for two years even though they pay for Dynamic IP.

But as pointed out above, it's slightly extra work to give everyone a Static IP, but there are a lot of complexities involved.

Darkmere

Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't mind having a Static IP address. I used to hold IP addresses from Verizon for months at a time. FiOS users I know seem to have Static IPs since it takes a few hours for their IPs to release, unlike DSL users such as I who can get a new IP just by disconnecting and reconnecting the PPPoE connection. A few people I know who have FiOS have had the same IP for two years even though they pay for Dynamic IP.

But as pointed out above, it's slightly extra work to give everyone a Static IP, but there are a lot of complexities involved.

I can understand that ... I have AT&T and had the same IP for the 11 years, but our modem has never been turned off or reset and it is attached to the UPS so not even power bumps hit it

nullcity.dev91

Reaction score
If we all get static ips, if one server goes down, the rest of our websites will go down too!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I can understand that ... I have AT&T and had the same IP for the 11 years, but our modem has never been turned off or reset and it is attached to the UPS so not even power bumps hit it

Surprised you have had an IP for that long, though I do recall some older Bellsouth areas pretty much came with Static IPs. I myself use Verizon, and I used to be able to hold IPs for months at a time. Seems like now we're getting so many power glitches and outages, the Remote DSLAM I'm fed out of seems to enjoy turning off DSL until the power returns. They don't put battery backup on that stuff it seems anymore; that or they are no longer working right since I used to be able to keep my network online and browse the Internet for hours on end during an outage. Of course, whenever my connection doesn't have a PPPoE connection for more than 10 seconds, I get a new IP. When they extend the Fiber cabling another 1/4 of a mile to me so I can get FiOS, I should be able to hold an IP for years provided Verizon doesn't force a change.

Last edited:

techman224

Prime Account
Reaction score
I don't think it would be possible with IPv4 addresses due to depletion. However with IPv6, it would be possible and I would want one.

denzil

Reaction score
Proxies have a number of legitimate uses. It's not always a good idea to give away a direct path to your computer. If you were doing something embarrassing but not necessarily illegal and the website you were on got hacked and a list of IPs were published, anyone that knows your IP would see you're on that list.

I wonder what that could be :p

But yes, it would definitely be helpful if everyone would just have a static IP. Perhaps one day this will be the case.