Do you think VISTA virus free????

allinone

Reaction score
i have heard of some viruses for vista too, micro soft claims vista to be virus free, will it remain virus free or there will be increase in number of viruses for vista. Although virus do not create much problem in vista as it always ask to permit any application run. But i want to now ur experience about vista virus free environment

Reaction score
Re: Is VISTA virus free????

I'm no computer expert but it's virus free until the user starts downloading, running and installing applications which contain the virus so then it's not 'virus free'. It will remain 'virus free' until you (in general, not you personally) begin running these applications.

I believe they're all virus free (obviously you can still get viruses) but you only get viruses when they're put on there, accidently or not, by running and installing applications with a virus attached to it.

JamesB

Reaction score

Vista or any other operating system out-of-the-box should be safe, as long as you get if from a reliable source.

Domenico

Reaction score

Vista is just as susceptible to viruses and malicious software in general as XP is. As long as there are b*****d programmers out there, there will always be viruses for operating systems. Vista being no exception.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score

With XP no longer being sent to computer manufacturers, the amount of viruses written for Vista is going to obviously increase. Virus writers want to target the large majority of people using a particular OS. XP was popular and tons of viruses have been made for it. Once Vista surpasses XP, it's just inevitable.

Just be a smart browser and downloader and you won't get viruses. I've never had a virus on any of my machines, but I still have AVG for those just-in-case instances.

souradipm

Reaction score

The closest I've gotten to a virus on XP is a tracking cookie, which was removed by Norton 2007. On ME, it got a trojan (which is why we had to upgrade), ouch...

But, yeah, Vista, like all Os's out there is safe from a good source out-of-the-box, but when the internet kicks in, well its a different story. A good AV will couter the malicious sites and so you should be safe.

With Vista's new 'If it's Microsoft it will run, if not it will die' scheme users can choose to exit programs if Microsoft didnt make it (or it isnt digitally signed correctly) and it would take a lot of a programmer's money to get rid of that, purchasing a certicicate and all.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score

Im carful with browsing, and try to keep installing to a minimum, but I havent had a virus on Vista in the 6 months Ive had it. I dont run any antivirus tools, only the ones in Windows, Windows Defender and a hardware firewall in the router. Apart from that, nothing. I havent had a problem at all. Ive even turned the UAC and those safety things off cos I find them so damn annoying, and everything seems fine.

I think Vista is a vast improvement to XP, security seems much tighter out of the box, XP had only one security feature out of the box, the firewall, which was a joke to be honest. Vista has Defender, which I find to be excellent.

Alex

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score

Everyone here is correct. Vista does, however have extra security precautions to try to prevent viruses from installing. UAC is what should come to mind.

rlodge

Reaction score

Want to keep your system virus free? Don't plug it in to the internet. It's just like owning anything else. You have to keep up with the maintenance on it to keep it running well and performing at it's best. There are hazards for cars, boats bikes, etc... You just have to look out for them and protect yourself.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score

What's the point of having a PC without an internet connection? :p

MicrotechXP

Reaction score

There is no operating system that is virus free.

allinone

Reaction score

thanks a lot guys for shraing ur views.....

is there any os which is more virus safe and aslo user friendly

componentwarehouse

Reaction score

Id say Vista is virus safe and user friendly, more virus safe and user friendly then Windows XP.

Linux is pretty safe, but not as user friendly as Windows, but that depends what distro you go for.

Alex

zapperpost

Reaction score

There is no OS on a computer that is virus free.

Raji8

Reaction score

Yes Straight out of the box with no downloads. However It probably includes the Microsoft Malicious Software removal tool which is Microsoft Spyware. So in other words :thefingerMicrosoft
Edit:
Btw Component Vista is not as user friendly for gamers due to game compatability issues and other assorted bugs However If it were just for Business Use then it would be great. I'm gonna stick with XP till either Games or my Work Software require Vista or until SP 2

Last edited:

yuhomen

Reaction score

its not always virus free, i downloaded a youtube video and i got a virus. i don't know why, so don't ask me. i just think its not virus free cause of that incident.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score

The viruses themselves on YouTube come from the ads. I've had a few cases where my Linux box (which filters out content like ads on my network, P2P, etc that I set up) has reported that it stopped an ad attempting to load a Java Applet with a virus on it. The videos themselves are safe.

jaco_don

Reaction score

Well i think you can switch to windows 3.11 It will be safe ..

Last edited:

zapperpost

Reaction score

No. Windows 3.11 is a 16-bit system. There are hundreds of viruses possible for Windows 3 as well.

disturbedart

Reaction score

Ive had about 2 worms in total on Vista. But that isn't from going on dodgy sites, i can't actually remember where i got them but mostly from harmless looking places. But my good old Norton 360 got rid of them before they placed themselves in. So NO vista is not virus free. There is always some geezer programming away in his bedroom tying to bring others down for the sheer boredom of his fun.

But i do have to say hackers make it safer in away as well. Because the secruity systems just keep getting stronger and stronger, making our computers less liable to failure and corruption from these nasty snippets of bad news.

Just my views on this,
Dj ZinX