does anyone know anything about monitor calibration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquila

Reaction score
i used a grayscale image the other day to try to calibrate my monitor brightness but i don't know if i had done it right because my monitor is too bright for comfortable viewing at night although it is fine during the day. any experience with calibrating?? thanks

lambada

Reaction score
When you use it at night do you turn on any other sources of lights (ceiling / desk etc)?

You should only ever use a computer in a well and evenly lit room. Try turning on a few more lights tonight when at your computer. It should make it more comfortable. as the brightness will be more uniform and your eyes will adjust easier.

Also check for a latest driver for your graphics card. My ancient nVidia card had a monitor calibration tool with it which optimises your graphics card and gives you examples and a sequence of tests to optimise your monitor controls (like brightness and contrast). The results have been amazing.

Last edited:

aquila

Reaction score
i have on a flourescent lamp. i will keep in mind your suggestion about the nvidia card when i have some money but at the moment the only thing i can do is adjust brightness. i really don't care whether the brightness is bothering me or not i can always turn it down but i care about adjusting my phhotographs but i don't know if my current setting is right? brightness and contrast is at max at the moment ( it's a very old monitor and computer)

lambada

Reaction score
My suggestion wasn't specifically for nVidia - I was just saying that's what mine is.

Your card (whatever it may be) may have drivers available with some sort of calibration tests.

shaunak

Reaction score
If i am not mistaken photoshop and cyberlinkDVD, both come with easy to use monitor calib tools.

You can also go here: http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php

Tip: you might like to set your brightness to zero [or near zero] befor starting the above test ^^^

Last edited:

aquila

Reaction score
If i am not mistaken photoshop
You can also go here: http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php

Tip: you might like to set your brightness to zero [or near zero] befor starting the above test ^^^

photoshop has calibration tools? i've got photoshop 7. may be i'll go take a look to see where it's at.

i went to the link you gave me. yes i have done a similar test like that and i came out having to set both contrast and brightness at max probably cos my monitor is ancient. i just thought it was a bit too bright and wondered if i had done it properly. well i suppose since i was so used to having my brightness and contrast both at 70 -80 percent it'll take some time to adjust to the new setting. thanks

shaunak

Reaction score
Since you have photoshop installed, look in the control panel for a "adobe gamma correction" aplet. That works well.

And remember, your eyes are more important than a well calibarated monitor, Keep the new settings only if you eyes are comfortable.

A mismatched print can be replaced, your eyes cant.
[imm telling you this coz i am currently suffering from eye-dryness]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.