Does anyone use low resolution anymore?

sclewin

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone uses the 800x600 resolution or lower anymore for GUI browsers. I was thinking about trying to design my web page so that people with GUI browsers could use a resolution as low as 800x600, but I am finding that a bit difficult and doing 1024x768 minimum would be much easier.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Nah, I don't think anyone uses them now.....You could go for the default 1024*768 pixels. Most of them use 1024*768 pixels. Just include a note on the page saying that the page works best with 1024*768 pixels....;)

sclewin

Reaction score
Nah, I don't think anyone uses them now.....You could go for the default 1024*768 pixels. Most of them use 1024*768 pixels. Just include a note on the page saying that the page works best with 1024*768 pixels....;)

That is what I was thinking about doing. I was thinking about also suggesting people that can't use 1024X768 to use a text based browser (like Lynx) where resolution does not matter.

Doc Photoshop

Reaction score
Why not use an 'elastic' division, so no matter what resolution the user is running, it makes it look that the site is designed for their browser. Works well if you have a text heavy site, but if you are making something with graphics, then it would not work too good.

Some of the blog sites use this method, and also there are a lot of dreamweaver templates about with this sort of design.

delon

Banned
Reaction score
Not me, mine is 1440 x 900. Old CyberCafe's in India use 800 x 600 resolution.

kirtik

Reaction score
I have 800 x 600 on this computer. It's a bit annoying when I have to scroll sideways. :/ Besides, 800x600 is easy to design for.

Nathan H

Reaction score
I use 1280x1024, I can never fit enough onto 1024x768. But thats just me.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
... The only place that I know that uses 800 x 600 is my old High School...

They had the worst PCs in the world... (That is one reason why I left.)

But then again, I realy do not think that the State truly cares about students having quality computers.

kirtik

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't like sites which design for specifically one resolution. It would only display how it's meant to on that specific resolution. Too wide for those below, too narrow for those above. That's why I design my sites in less than 800 across, or use variable widths.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't like sites which design for specifically one resolution. It would only display how it's meant to on that specific resolution. Too wide for those below, too narrow for those above. That's why I design my sites in less than 800 across, or use variable widths.

Good point... I always have my site scale itself by setting table sizes to percentages.

Or with flash sites its even easier to have the page scale.

Last edited: