Does domain name matter in seo?

smartblogger

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Does domain name matter in seo? Does domain name include keywords is more beneficial?
Please share your feedback.
Thanks.

nkranx10

Reaction score
I need to read up again but as far as I remember key words in the domain will be picked up. So if someone was looking for hotels in ghana a domain like hotels-ghana.net would get some pick up. Apparently putting a key word in the title helps, as well as key words within the main body of text.Obviously good use of meta tags e.g
<meta name="description" content=" some relevant title ">
<meta name="keywords" content="accra, ghana, blah, blah">

While I am here this might be a good thread for admin to confirm a couple of things:

I think I read we are not allowed to put a robots.txt in public_html ?

Is putting a sitemap.xml ok?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
There are no prohibitions against robots.txt or sitemaps.

Remember. robots.txt is advisory for spiders. They do not have to follow your instructions .

nkranx10

Reaction score
cheers descalzo

ok I think I got confused with this line " We do not allow any type of bot or script that runs continuously." at
http://x10hosting.com/terms so basically if google visits say once a month to update for new pages added to my web thats OK.

My site is using CodeIgniter so the next thing I need to read up on is listing pages which are "views" instead of the normal complete web page

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That means that you're not allowed to run a bot or continuous script on your account.

nkranx10

Reaction score
yes I agree I am not allowed to run a bot or continuous script on my account; being rusty on SEO, the problem I have is what is a bot and what can become an infringement. So if a have a sitemap.xml that is set to monthly i'm assuming thats OK, but if I set the sitmap to "Hourly" i'm guessing that would not go down well.

What about google site verifications files?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Google can visit your site pretty much as often as it wants (or you would like). The only potential problem is that, combined with regular user traffic, you may find yourself hitting the High Resource Usage limits if you are crawled too often. That isn't code you are running on your site, that's code Google is running that touches your site, and as far as x10Hosting is concerned, Google is just another user visiting your site.

Again, the prohibition is against code that you run on the server. You can't, for instance, operate a bot that crawls or posts to other sites, nor can you run any code that "stays alive" or "zombies" (comes back from the dead every few minutes), which would include things like health monitors, persistent listeners, large data operations (3D rendering, mapreduce of "big data") and the like. Reasonable crons are allowed for site maintenance, pre-rendering, caching and so on; they're considered part of the normal operation of a web site.

nkranx10

Reaction score
Google can visit your site pretty much as often as it wants (or you would like). The only potential problem is that, combined with regular user traffic, you may find yourself hitting the High Resource Usage limits if you are crawled too often. That isn't code you are running on your site, that's code Google is running that touches your site, and as far as x10Hosting is concerned, Google is just another user visiting your site.

Again, the prohibition is against code that you run on the server. You can't, for instance, operate a bot that crawls or posts to other sites, nor can you run any code that "stays alive" or "zombies" (comes back from the dead every few minutes), which would include things like health monitors, persistent listeners, large data operations (3D rendering, mapreduce of "big data") and the like. Reasonable crons are allowed for site maintenance, pre-rendering, caching and so on; they're considered part of the normal operation of a web site.

Essellar excellent - this clarifies exactly what can be done and not done. As for the traffic reaching limits , I should be so lucky !

theteamk

Reaction score
Also if you want Google's spiders to crawl your website more you can use Google Webmaster Tools and upload a sitemap there
This will allow google to index more of your pages to its database