Doing Magento backup causes 403 Forbidden error on whole site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

minipullin62

Reaction score
Hi, My site uses Magento Community Edition, the online e-commerce store platform. I installed Magento using an downloader/installer provided by Magento, although I see I could have used the Softaculous auto installer for it.
I have recently been trying to do some backups (using the backup utility provided in Magento). I did a 'database only' backup without any media, which was small, and finished successfully in about 10 seconds. Whereas when I do a full, rather large, system backup, it waits for about a minute before reloading, supposedly to say the backup had completed, but instead my whole site is given a '403 Forbidden' error. I've checked the cPanel error log, and there's nothing there. The only way I've fixed it is to change the permissions of my index.php file from 666 to 755, and it seems to fix itself when I access any page. Strangely, refreshing the backup page, which gave me the 403 error in the first place, goes back to the Backup Utility I was using before, but with a "The system backup has been created." message.
Also, in the backups list, it shows the backups that I supposedly created, including sizes. The most recent full backup I tried was 109241836 Bytes.

My guess is that doing a backup is such a heavy task on the server, that it thinks something must be wrong, and forbids access to it, so that it prevents the site from causing problems on the server.

Can something be done about this? I need to be able to backup my site, and I need to be sure that these backups are actually being created properly and without error half way through.

Thanks for any support.

minipullin62

Reaction score
Is anyone able to help with this? I am not able to efficiently work on my site until this is sorted. Please help!

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You're up against the execution time limit, I'm afraid. You get 30 seconds max on Free Hosting and have limited memory and CPU to work with during that time. If you regularly need more grunt on the server, then Free Hosting would not be enough to meet your needs.

channelw

Reaction score
Softaculous upgrades scripts for you so this may be a workaround (though I'm making no guarantees).

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, the basic Infinity package would have plenty of room for what you're doing. (Illuminated probably would as well, at considerably less cost. The script run-length is still only 30 seconds on Illuminated, but you have more resources to work with and there's less blocking reading from/writing to the disk because there are far fewer users on the server.)

Status
Not open for further replies.