www.1and1.com

but when i changed their DNS

from

ns29.1and1.com
ns30.1and1.com

to

ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com

it gave me those msn can't find a page crap...
it worked before i changed the name servers..

but someone told me to switch dns... so...

another question..

what is dns? what is nameserver?
why is it significant? ....

nicholas

Reaction score
When did you make the change? Sometimes it may take 24 to 48 hours to propagate.

EDIT : Forgot to answer 2nd part of your question :laughing:

To find out more on DNS(Domain Name Service) etc, go to this link to find out more http://www.webopedia.com/

bryansyk

Reaction score
oh crap it takes that long?!?!?!

wow...

well...

when i checked the status they said the domain was ready like 30 minutes after i changed the dns to x10hosting's dns...

and right after i changed the dns it said

updating on the status screen instead of ready...

and when i changed the dns back to theirs the domain started working after like 10 minutes...

nich thnx for answering my question but...

i still don't know why you have to change dns??!!?

n4tec

Reaction score
you have to change dns to be hosted at x10 or wherever...

here is the definition:-

1) Short for Domain Name System (or Service or Server), an Internet service that translates domain names into IP addresses. Because domain names are alphabetic, they're easier to remember. The Internet however, is really based on IP addresses. Every time you use a domain name, therefore, a DNS service must translate the name into the corresponding IP address. For example, the domain name www.example.com might translate to 198.105.232.4.

The DNS system is, in fact, its own network. If one DNS server doesn't know how to translate a particular domain name, it asks another one, and so on, until the correct IP address is returned.

(2) Short for digital nervous system, a term coined by Bill Gates to describe a network of personal computers that make it easier to obtain and understand information.

*4*

n4tec

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.