Domain name setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

thethirdbridge

Reaction score
Sorry if this is already covered elsewhere - I did read the FAQ entry but I was entirely clear yet. I'm fairly new to this, so please be gentle ;)

I've succesfully set up a Wordpress blog on this great free hosting. That bit all works fine. I also have a domain name registered with another registrar. I have access to the DNS and a rough idea of what to do.

I intend to edit my domain name and change the dns A record for www to point to the IP address of the server that is being hosted on which I believe is 74.63.233.7

I think that is all I need to do for now on the domain side (obviously if I want to set up subdomains, email etc there is more to do).

But I also think I need to do something on the hosting side (here) to presumeably set up something so that the server knows that anything coming in on my domain name needs to be re-directed to my allocated webspace. Now from scanning the forum I see two options here and I don't know which is correct. Do I, alter my "main account domain" name in the control panel so that I no longer use the x10hosting.com subdomain and essentially rename this to be the same as my domain name?

Or do I have to set up something in the domain section? I see options for Subdomains, Addon Domains, Parked Domains and Redirects. None of these seem to entirely describe what I'm intending to do, so I'm not sure if that's what I should use?

Finally, I also saw something about nameservers. I don't think I need to change these do I as I'm happy keeping my domain name with my registrar?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

adrenlinerush

Reaction score
also add it as an add-on or parked domain... parked domain domain references the path as your existing domain... add-on can have a different path or directory for root of the page...

keep in mind it will take time for dns to update... most dns have 2 hrs a default...

TonnyORG

I Code Things
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi, I believe this issue has been resolved.

If you need further support, please re-open this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.