Domain name / URL forwarding ?

vict0r

Reaction score
I recently bought a domain name and not sure how to point it to my free hosting account here. I have some few questions, what do you mean when you say:

Masked (or stealth) URL Forwarding?
Unmasked (or standard) URL Forwarding?
I have a x10 advanced plan account here and wanted to add/change to a registered domain name for it, how?

Thanks in advance! :happysad:

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
vict0r said:
I recently bought a domain name and not sure how to point it to my free hosting account here. I have some few questions, what do you mean when you say:

Masked (or stealth) URL Forwarding?
Unmasked (or standard) URL Forwarding?
I have a x10 advanced plan account here and wanted to add/change to a registered domain name for it, how?

Thanks in advance! :happysad:
you need to point the name servers to ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com and then you can just ask us to make it your root domain if you would like it to be your root domain.

vict0r

Reaction score
ok, but if I point it to ns1.x10hsting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com, how long will it take to implement it? and how will I access my cpanel if I have a www.123.com domain name?

vict0r

Reaction score
The customers support suggest me to do this....

Our URL Forwarding service allows you to redirect queries for your
domain name to any other URL. This is a great option if you want to get
visitors to a web site with a long URL, or one that is difficult to
remember. You can use our URL Forwarding services to forward your domain to
any URL or IP address.

1. Log into your account
2. Click on the 'My Domains' Tab

On the 'My Domains' page, follow the steps to manage your domain
3. Step 1. choose the domain you would like to add the URL Forwarding
to by selecing the check box.
4. Step 2. In the drop down, select 'Add/modify services to these
domains'
5. Click the 'Go' button
6. To add the service to your cart, just click on the URL Forwarding
link
7. Click the 'Continue' link
8. Review the Registration Agreement and check the box
9. Enter credit card information
10. Click the 'Complete Order' button

NOTE: Forwarding Types we offer:

Masked (or stealth) URL Forwarding: The true URL of the web site does
not appear in the address bar of a user's browser and the domain name
being forwarded appears in its place. You can also control the title at
the top of the browser window.

Unmasked (or standard) URL Forwarding: The true URL of the web site
will appear in the address bar of a user's browser.

What I dont get is what does he mean by
"The true URL of the web site does not appear in the address bar of a user's browser and the domain name being forwarded appears in its place. You can also control the title at the top of the browser window." ???

and these "The true URL of the web site will appear in the address bar of a user's browser" ??

What makes their difference with masked and unmasked URL forwarding? I'm sort of new to this, so I have a lot of questions to ask..

careerbridge

Reaction score
When some one enters your short url, the short url service provider will redirect the client into your true url(www.yoursite.x10hosting.com). This can be done to two ways,

1) By using scripts to trigger to load your true site. (like onload="top.location=www.yoursite.x10hosting.net; )
This is actualy redirection and the client can see the true url on the address bar.

2) By using frames... Ur site will be loaded inside a frame !!! The frame page is located in the short url providers server and the addressbar shows the short url only. They uses a code like this,

<frameset rows="100%,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0">
<frame name="main" src="http://www.yoursite.x10hosting.com">
</frameset>

In the second method, if you view the source code of the page (from browser) you can see only the frame code. Thus the actual code/title of the site will not be available. It may have the static title which the short url service provides and the same title will show for all the fowarded pages !! Thus you can't control the title of your site for diff pages bcose all the pages will have the same frame code !!

I don't know how to control the title with path forwarding.... Actually I was searching for such a method for a while.... Is anybody here to talk abt this??

vict0r

Reaction score
careerbridge said:
When some one enters your short url, the short url service provider will redirect the client into your true url(www.yoursite.x10hosting.com). This can be done to two ways,

1) By using scripts to trigger to load your true site. (like onload="top.location=www.yoursite.x10hosting.net; )
This is actualy redirection and the client can see the true url on the address bar.

2) By using frames... Ur site will be loaded inside a frame !!! The frame page is located in the short url providers server and the addressbar shows the short url only. They uses a code like this,

<frameset rows="100%,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0">
<frame name="main" src="http://www.yoursite.x10hosting.com">
</frameset>

In the second method, if you view the source code of the page (from browser) you can see only the frame code. Thus the actual code/title of the site will not be available. It may have the static title which the short url service provides and the same title will show for all the fowarded pages !! Thus you can't control the title of your site for diff pages bcose all the pages will have the same frame code !!

I don't know how to control the title with path forwarding.... Actually I was searching for such a method for a while.... Is anybody here to talk abt this??

I thought that after we point the domain for example www.123.com to our freehost subdomain here www.123.x10hosting.com/about/index.html will automatically change it to www.123.com/about/index.html? What I mean is the browser will not just show www.123.com all the time even if we are at the www.123.com/about/ page? If we still need to put some codes for that, then I also need to know the answer to this question by careerbridge :happysad: help!

randomize

Reaction score
I think what you mean is this....

You set the domain server dns to

ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com

Or what ever they are...

Then you ask the staff here to set it to your root domain.

Hence, when you go http://123.com it will be in place of your sub domain.

so if you had a folder called about on your hosting, and then went to http://123.com/about it would point to the http://123.x10hosting.com /about

so all you need to do, is set the server dns on the domain cpanel etc, then set it as your root domain here, then you just develop your site as normal.

I may be wrong, but that is my understanding on the matter, so there yah go.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Randomize